Southern  UK Jive Forum Index Southern UK Jive
Share Jive Experiences and Opinions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Go to the Southern UK Jive Calendar
Latest Favourites
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichardP
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicky wrote:
Actually, whilst i'm on here, can we PLEASE have more JT...... His music has so much going on.... Never fails to get my shoulders shimmying, my hips swinging, and my body rolling Cool

With a wave of my magic wand I'll grant that wish!!!
Southern Jiver
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm...not Too Much JT, please. After all we wouldn't want to spoil a good thing by overdoing it would we...! Confused
RichardP
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course not, all in moderation! I still stick to my rules of not playing a track more than once within any 4 week period to encourage variety.
Southern Jiver
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, RichardP? Do you really do that? I would think you would start running out of good tracks before too long. Do you have that many good tracks to choose from then?
TeeDee
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SJ - "Long John Baldry "They Raided The Joint".

I expect you will enjoy this one, TeeDee"

Prefer "The Itch", but, yeap. I like Very Happy
TeeDee
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Really, RichardP? Do you really do that? I would think you would start running out of good tracks before too long

I do (almost) the same thing. You'd be amazed at how much good music there is out there!
RichardP
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Southern Jiver wrote:
Really, RichardP? Do you really do that? I would think you would start running out of good tracks before too long. Do you have that many good tracks to choose from then?

Yes! I've always done this - as a DJ it forces you to play tracks other than your favourite 30 each week!!!

TeeDee wrote:
I do (almost) the same thing. You'd be amazed at how much good music there is out there!

Quite right, I'm pretty sure I could extend my 4 week rule to 2 or 3 months easily without running out of fantastic music!

I do a similar thing at freestyles: I'll rarely play tracks that I've played at that particular freestyle night the month before, often 2 months.. Given that on your average 4 hour freestyle you'll easily get through around 80 tracks that's nearly 240 straight up... There really is SO much fantastic music out there I think it would be a shame to be limited to the same old stuff week in week out!
TeeDee
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Quite right, I'm pretty sure I could extend my 4 week rule to 2 or 3 months easily without running out of fantastic music!

You win !!! Laughing
Olly
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard P wrote;

Quote:
I still stick to my rules of not playing a track more than once within any 4 week period to encourage variety.

I hope Richard P means at the same venue!

I have a similar policy, but I do make exceptions for current contemporary favourites which are of the 'here and now.' I agree that limiting other tracks to a maximum of 1 out of 4 weeks makes for more variety and stops lists getting stale. Too much familiarity and predicability can perhaps lead to some of the knee jerk reactions when people suddenly hear a track that is less familar or just not known.

It is perhaps another interesting chicken/egg question in that; should dancer's musical tastes determine the musical direction at a venue or are dancers influenced or lead by the DJ?

Another question along the same lines is; should the DJ be responsible for introducing new music and expose dancers to more variety, or should they just play what is always played and wait for dancers to initiate any changes?
TeeDee
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I do make exceptions for current contemporary favourites which are of the 'here and now.'

Yeap - that's my "almost" bit more or less explained.
Southern Jiver
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olly, I have taken the liberty of initiating a new thread with your questions as I think they are good ones and it will be interesting to see what feedback you get.

See it at http://southernjive.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=252.

Cheers, SJ.
qdos
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you guys have just hit upon what really must be a DJ's dilemma

When to repeat a track?

Some songs we love to hear again but there's a point at which things become predictable and we like to have a change.

Pretty tough decision to make and one of the many areas where a good DJ is worth his proverbial weight. Laptops don't weigh much Wink

I don't envy you guys I think your job is probably one of, if not the most Important roles of a successful venue. (depends if it's a teaching night or a freestyle)
Nicky
Forum legend

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qdos wrote:
Quote:
I don't envy you guys I think your job is probably one of, if not the most Important roles of a successful venue. (depends if it's a teaching night or a freestyle)

Hear, hear!!!

Just reading many of the heated discussions on this forum shows exactly how important the music is to us all.... I would go so far as to say that it is THE most important factor to the success of ANY night, be it a class night or a freestyle.... I can put up with a mediocre teacher if the music after the class is right.

Ungrateful and critical though we may all sound at times, I am sure that we all very much appreciate the job that you do....

BIG UP THE DJ'S!!!......You do a grand job Very Happy
Olly
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for bigging us DJs up - much appreciated!

Both Qdos and Nicky think music is arguably the most important factor of a dance night. I absolutely agree that music is a fundamental part of the success of a dance night, however, I think the quality of the dance floor must rank up there as well. A good example of this is the Totton venue where the dance floor is really poor now and even if the music was top notch, I would not go again until it is sorted. However, plenty of people complain about it and still go - so perhaps they have the view that the music is more important than floor quality? For me, I would probably tolerate a reduction in my enjoyment of the music rather than suffer a poor floor.
Flatfootphil

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The music is definately the most important thing at any event, but thats assuming that the organisers have found a venue with a suitable floor.

Olly wrote:
Quote:
I think the quality of the dance floor must rank up there as well. A good example of this is the Totton venue where the dance floor is really poor now and even if the music was top notch, I would not go again until it is sorted.

Used to go all the time, but havent been since January.... The floor is a state and not fit to dance on. It kills my knees and ankles and spoils my night.

Why so many people keep forking out their hard earned cash to go there is beyond me..... Stop going and something may get done about it!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Southern UK Jive Forum Index -> Jive Music All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: