Southern  UK Jive Forum Index Southern UK Jive
Share Jive Experiences and Opinions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Go to the Southern UK Jive Calendar
Very different music
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jiveonaut
Forum legend

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Very different music Reply with quote

Hi all. Notwithstanding the 'practicalities' of getting something like this actually played outside my bedroom, do you think this sort of stuff is cerocable to? It has a jiveable beat (One 23 TWO 23 Three 23....), is extremely musical and very catchy. It also makes me smile. Thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmCnQDUSO4I&feature=related
Mops
Regular

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...I think I'd cry if they played this!!
Lovely for ballroom, not what i'd want to hear jive/bluesing!
springy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cerocable? is this a new dance?
Jiveonaut
Forum legend

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tears were not in the plan!!!! Shocked And no, its probably not for jiving or bluesing - its not a candyman or some warble about the guitarists wife leaving him and his dog having fleas. But why not in a more "general purpose" chillout room? Its the right length, bursting with musicality, has a definite rhythym and beat, is written with dancing to it in mind, and could result in 3.48 mins that both partners will, for the right (or wrong)reasons, never forget.

I think it, or something similar, could fly in a MJ environment: after all, MJ has absorbed enough from Latin dances (think Tango, Salsa, cha cha, rhumba etc), so why not from ballroom? I also think it would take a DJ with bottle to play it, and require some open minded jivers to try and dance to it. Whaddaya all think?

Not sure cerocable is a new dance - a new word certainly......
Mops
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...still a no from mex
Southern Jiver
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dancing to the theme tune to "The Matrix" was "challenging" enough for me!

I think that what you would need to dance to this would be some ballroom skills. Just my $.02.
RichardP
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jiveonaut wrote:
I also think it would take a DJ with bottle to play it

I think it would take a DJ with earplugs in to play it!

Sorry Jineonaut but I really can't see this working in MJ.. I will try to dance to most stuff but this is out of bounds for me.

As a DJ I would not play it, and if I heard another MJ DJ play it I'd be having words!!!
Jiveonaut
Forum legend

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha! You know you're all correct. I am pretty much sure it would never get played at a MJ event. It is very different, and yes some ballroom skills would be very useful. But not so much that you've done a 6 week ballroom course and can waltz with gusto across the rapidly clearing floor, but perhaps, like the latiny moves in Ceroc, you have some MJ moves that suit this sort of thing. It wasn't so long ago that Blues was the contentious kid on the block, and now everyone's at it (I saw you at Minstead SJ, you Bluser you!! Very Happy ) so in 6 months time perhaps everyone will be doing natural and reverse turns like crazy!

Richard P, I bow to your huge experience of DJing. Not sure you'd need earplugs, as I think, as a piece of music, its great, but we both know it would bomb on a Friday night. Better make sure you're not on the decks at the next Minstead Jive Jukebox though, as Jineonaut may have his revenge for your spelling...... Wink
Mandy H
Casual Poster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian has played this as a Tango Vals option at Tango events and I have heard it at Tango events before. But even Ian LOL would not be brave enough to play this at a MJ/ceroc event.

Maybe if you arrive early at 2 Tone's smaller room (before 8pm) and ask nicely Very Happy
lilblue
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit, I'm with the masses! Smile It's because of the Waltzy undertone (if I remember right, I believe Felicity Kendall & Vincent Simone danced a Viennese Waltz to this very beautiful track) to this track and so many others that I feel it's 'unjiveable'. If I thought it was do-able I'd be requesting things like Norah Jones - Turn Me On and James Morrisson - Pieces Don't Fit Anymore. Both amongst my favourite tracks, but both unsuitable for Jive/Blues in my opinion Sad .
Jiveonaut
Forum legend

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your memory's fine Lilblue, Vincent and Felicity did dance to it on SCD a couple of weeks ago. Its what sparked the thought in my heed.

Perhaps if there was a "Hooked on Classics" version....
Jiveonaut
Forum legend

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Forster or Warren (couldn't see exactly who, it was dark and I was dancing) played this (all of this, including the first 55 secs: full marks guys) in the Tango milonga room at the Southport just gone. I nearly legged it, manned up, danced really really badly to it (first go solo in a milonga!) and loved it!!

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3De1JkhNOcXGo%26feature%3Drelated&h=-AQEuPICZAQGTeSR5PkEDmchN8UkFVSbIWY8VNLkjE-oQNw
thatsmycarr
Regular

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don`t think you need a DJ with bottle to play these tracks, you need a DJ who is doing a gig at an old ladies tea party and even then, I think they would get complaints. If any of these tracks were played at a jive night I would probably hang myself from the rafters and I am sure I would have to fight off several people for the last bit of rope!

Of course, it may be `Cerocable'? as I have never heard of that dance myself Smile
astrodancer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy oh my goodness!...beautiful music.. thanks for sharing it! Very Happy
Andy McGregor
Forum legend

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Very different music Reply with quote

Jiveonaut wrote:
Hi all. Notwithstanding the 'practicalities' of getting something like this actually played outside my bedroom, do you think this sort of stuff is cerocable to? It has a jiveable beat (One 23 TWO 23 Three 23....), is extremely musical and very catchy. It also makes me smile. Thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmCnQDUSO4I&feature=related
Waltz timing is not jive timing. Therefore a waltz beat is not "jiveable" or even "Cerocable"*. MJ is danced like a march, as if there were 2 even beats to the bar.

*Ceroc is not a dance. It does not require a tune, it is a business. Quite rightly it requires the percussive ringing of cash registers.

There's plenty of lovely tunes which would have the right timing for MJ. Look at the first part of this clip. I'm sure I've seen one of those guys dancing in Bristol Twisted Evil
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHAvoGNOuYw&feature=fvwrel

I'm not sure I'd play it as a mainstream track. But a Sunday afternoon at a weekender? Why not?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Southern UK Jive Forum Index -> Jive Q & A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: