Southern  UK Jive Forum Index Southern UK Jive
Share Jive Experiences and Opinions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Go to the Southern UK Jive Calendar
Sack the DJ - do they play boring stuff?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jiveonaut
Forum legend

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Sack the DJ - do they play boring stuff? Reply with quote

A thought: do people think sack the DJ slots should be about non DJs playing what they think people like (ie what they hear every week at their venues) or should they be about non DJs (or indeed DJs) playing stuff people don't normally hear/what the DJ actually likes? At the last couple of weekenders I've been to so much of the Sack the DJ slots were either the former, stuff you'd hear on a Tuesday night or a half decent freestyle, or "acheingly coo-el" urban R&B beattastic stuff that frankly leaves me cold. It was most obvious, at the last Camber, when it clunked back in after Mike finished his Swinger's hour set (which was very 50's rock'n'rolly), which seemed to be the only set that didn't fall into the two groups I've described. (Ceroc Dorset, your Sunday set was an exception to that rule!)

Could a DJ play a 30 min big band swing or a Gypsy folk type set without getting lynched or worse, poo-poohed by the musicarati? Who would have the cahonies? Would anyone stay and listen, or even dance to it?
Andy McGregor
Forum legend

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Sack the DJ - do they play boring stuff? Reply with quote

Good question. I've never done, or even attended a "sack the DJ" session.

However, I believe that the premise is in the title. Someone is going to "sack the DJ". Therefore it is up to the DJ to play music to impress that "someone". The DJ is, therefore, not playing music he likes - unless he has the same taste as the "someone".

And why do so many people at MJ nights keep playing the same tracks? Because they are the ones that get people on the floor, week after week.

What you need to remember is that the majority of people who dance MJ are not "too cool for school" fans of niche events. The majority are, by their very nature, fans of mainstream music. Because the "mainstream" music got that way by being popular.
Jiveonaut
Forum legend

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, as you've never been to one, you may have slightly misunderstood my not terribly well worded query, so I will explain: what I'm talking about is a number of 30 min slots being available at Ceroc Weekenders, called "Sack the DJ", where anyone can (if they get their name down on the list pinned to the wall) pitch up and play tunes of their choice, usually in the pub. This is not a niche event that people go to: rather its just one of the many things on offer. I've never known a DJ get sacked from one of their slots (although I suppose the pub may be emptier at the end than the beginning). There's no chicken wire over the booth, no voting system and, short of the public in the room shouting 'off off off' no way to actually sack the DJ.

Which is what prompted my query: why is the VAST majority of the music played at these either the same as a normal event or stuff that musical fashionistas prefer? Why isn't a wider spread played? Is it because, as you suggest Andy, they play mainstream stuff because it is mainstream? Shouldn't rarer stuff have a run out? Isn't this an ideal opportunity to play non mainstream stuff, from other musical genres? Is it because those who would like rarer stuff lack the bottle to sign up to DJ? If you look at the turn out to Mike Ellard's Swingers Hour sets, he usually fills the room (although he is scheduled in the event guide, so people know when and what he's playing) Even so, there's a good number of people who dress up, and go out of their way to get there.

If I showed up, unannounced and without pre-advertising, and played a 30 min Big Band set, or songs from the West End, or Gypsy folk rock, would I get flowers or cabbages lobbed at me? Do people want the same as they'd get everywhere else, but in a pub, or are they game to try something different?
Andy McGregor
Forum legend

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jiveonaut wrote:
` If you look at the turn out to Mike Ellard's Swingers Hour sets, he usually fills the room (although he is scheduled in the event guide, so people know when and what he's playing) Even so, there's a good number of people who dress up, and go out of their way to get there.

If I showed up, unannounced and without pre-advertising, and played a 30 min Big Band set, or songs from the West End, or Gypsy folk rock, would I get flowers or cabbages lobbed at me? Do people want the same as they'd get everywhere else, but in a pub, or are they game to try something different?
Amongst other genres, swing music is a Marmite genre. And most people know which camp they fall into. If a session is labelled "swing" it will attract the fans and it will put off the people who dislike swing. This means that you will end up with a room of swing lovers - I would be there too.

But spring a half hour of swing music on a group expecting a right good mix and you will be hearing from the people who dislike swing.
Southern Jiver
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done a couple of "Sack the DJ" slots and while I have endeavoured to play different kinds of music, it's hard to evaluate people's reactions because there only ever seems to be a few people there. Of course, I have usually been doing slots on sunny afternoons or when there's some big name teacher giving a class so it's difficvult to get a crowd. I do think they are worthwhile though, as it gives a chance for us budding DJs a chance to air our stuff. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Southern UK Jive Forum Index -> Jive Q & A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: