Southern  UK Jive Forum Index Southern UK Jive
Share Jive Experiences and Opinions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Go to the Southern UK Jive Calendar
Barbra Streisand
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Welshy
Regular

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Barbra Streisand Reply with quote

This has been played a few times by Ceroc DJ's over the last couple of weeks. I don't like the song and I like dancing to it even less Sad

Just curious what other people's opinions are?
Southern Jiver
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Barbra Streisand Reply with quote

Welshy wrote:
This has been played a few times by Ceroc DJ's over the last couple of weeks. I don't like the song and I like dancing to it even less Sad
I couldn't agree more. It's on my pet hate list. Mad
Andy McGregor
Forum legend

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Barbra Streisand Reply with quote

Welshy wrote:

Just curious what other people's opinions are?
I play it because people seem to get up when it's played.

I don't like it myself, but I play a lot of music that isn't to my taste because I know people have different tastes. I can't see this song becoming a MJ standard and will probably go the way of Gramaphonedzie and many other songs that have very little musical merit. It's fashion and many people always like the latest fashion: that's what fashion is all about - but they drop yesterday's fashion when something else is new.
DJ Andy
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was irritating too, so I downloaded the 'original' version which they ripped off, which is 'Gotta Go Home' by Boney M, and I've played that instead a few times.
It not only has the advantage of having the musical hook that the copy has, but also extra melody and lyrics, but no annoying, randomly inserted celebrity name!
It's also a great 'cheesy' song to play should you require one. Wink
Olly
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an irratating track which has few redeeming features IMO. Welshy, you say you have heard Ceroc DJs play this recently, hopefully not at Ceroc Fever venues surely?! Question Exclamation I am all for Djs having artistic licence to play 'of the moment' tracks, but I would instigate my rarely used veto if any Ceroc Fever DJs had any thought of playing it in this instance! Smile Gramaphonedzie was bad enough, but I have still managed to get away with not playing or dancing to it to date!
Welshy
Regular

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it wasn't Ceroc fever. I'm glad I'm not the only one!
Jiveonaut
Forum legend

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbra Streisand - its just wrong......

Gramaphonedzie - its just naff!

Personally, I hate tracks which are two songs spliced together. Not just these but all of them - I'm thinking the version of Release Me, which takes the thumping Agnes track, and installs a dull plodding beat to it; the one that has Every Breath You take as one half, (I forget the other half but its a bit rappy) and many more I've blocked from my memory. To me they're artistically bankrupt (ooooooooooo get me) most of the time, and plain lazy the rest.

Plus they're usually pants to dance to as the end result is schizophrenic - Gramaphonedzie is a great example: is it swing or is it pop, so do you dance smooth or energetically? Answer is you can't do either, so you just crank out the moves and hope the 3 mins hurries up. No thanks to the lot of them!

Now, Shostakovich, on the other hand...... Wink
RichardP
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah Jiveonaut - have you heard the Black Eyed Peas new track - The Time (Dirty Bit)? I'm sure you'll love it!!!

Just to be clear I hate this track too. I'm against even changing the speed of tracks so creating awful remixes (which incidentally 99% of the time will also change the tempo) is just sacrilege Evil or Very Mad
Andy McGregor
Forum legend

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olly wrote:
I am all for Djs having artistic licence to play 'of the moment' tracks, but I would instigate my rarely used veto if any Ceroc Fever DJs had any thought of playing it in this instance! Smile
Am I the only one who wonders how Olly knows what his DJs are thinking?

Now we know the "Ceroc Mind Control Chip" must offer two way communication Wink
Nicky
Forum legend

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbra Streisand.... In a word, pants!!!!

So good to hear that i'm not the only person who can't stand Gramaphonedzie. Everybody I know seems to leap up in an excited state of euphoria everytime it's played Rolling Eyes
Jiveonaut
Forum legend

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardP - you're wrong. I can't stand it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

It blows and sucks! - Its like a .... I don't know what its like. How can a group that did tracks like 'Shut up' and 'Hey Mama' do bollo like this? Its just rubbish. Fire the weapon!!!!

Please please please. DJs out there, never play this. Ever. Its a short step from this to the Alvin and the Chipmonks version of 'Going to Ibeetza'. Do not encourage record studios to do this!!!!!
dancin-angel82
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to agree on the barbara streisand song. Think I actually hate it even more since Diva Fever sung it on X Factor.

Jiveonaut - Im with you on the Black Eyed Peas - The Time (HATE IT) Evil or Very Mad Its awful!!
Welshy
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So who IS requesting it then? Shocked
DJ Mike

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why Don't You
We No Speak Americano
Barbra Streisand

Never get asked for these, never play them, hell I don't even have the last one so that's instantly off the list. Wink

They're garbage, all of them - give me Peggy Lee's original of Why Don't You Do Right any time, or perhaps the versions by Natalie Cole or Sinead O'Connor as alternatives.

Don't get me wrong, if somebody desparately wanted one I'm not going to refuse them on the grounds of my own taste, but I've never met anyone who genuinely thought these in any way added to a dance night.

And yes, the Boney M original used to make Barbra Streisand is far more pleasant, if cheesy.
Southern Jiver
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ Mike wrote:
They're garbage, all of them - give me Peggy Lee's original of Why Don't You Do Right any time, or perhaps the versions by Natalie Cole or Sinead O'Connor as alternatives.
I'm right with you there, DJ Mike!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Southern UK Jive Forum Index -> Jive Music All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: