Southern  UK Jive Forum Index Southern UK Jive
Share Jive Experiences and Opinions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Go to the Southern UK Jive Calendar
DJ Mixing Software

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The-G-Man
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi TeeDee,

What program do you use for your laptop?

I will be doing the same soon but the plus feature on the program i use is that i can drop and edit tracks whilst the music is playing for ease of use if people request music.

Probably off topic now. Sorry.
TeeDee
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ceroc - I can't really comment as I've not been involved and, therefore, don't have enough inside knowledge to state one way or other about the issues/problems Ceroc have faced taking over the various venues. Though I suspect they are legion and DJ's are one part of the whole package.

What I can comment on though is finding a good DJ is a lot more difficult that it sounds and sometimes it's just easier to do it yourself !

Have you tried emailing Richard and Maddy of Ceroc Live? I can't say I know them well, but I do know that they are approachable, friendly and very passionate about what they do. So I'd have thought that a well worded email would go a long way...?
TeeDee
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi G-Man
Quote:

I'm still very much a puppy at all this!
For the play lists I just use Windows media player - it's easy and I can tweak it on the fly easily if I need to (as I did last night).
Audacity for editing tracks - getting rid of annoying long endings/intros and things like that! (Need the LAME plug-in to export MP3's)
I tried Winamp but couldn't get on with it..!
What are you using? Any good stuff to recommend?!

Quote:
Probably off topic now. Sorry

Oh well..!!! Very Happy
The-G-Man
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use MixMeister

You can auto merge tracks or adjust them yourselves to make the transition from fast to slow music easier for dancers.

Am new to this so been playing with it before i use it on a class night.
qdos
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
finding a good DJ is a lot more difficult that it sounds and sometimes it's just easier to do it yourself !

They had at least 2 good ones who got fed up with Ceroc and left, obviously they knew more about Ceroc Live than we do.

Quote:
Have you tried emailing Richard and Maddy of Ceroc Live? I can't say I know them well, but I do know that they are approachable, friendly and very passionate about what they do. So I'd have thought that a well worded email would go a long way...?

I've not emailed them myself no. (Obviously I can't answer for Nicky's means of communication.) I speak to them face to face. Yes they are passionate about what they do. So much so they don't listen to what their customers want which is why we are all leaving as well as their staff.

I'll say this though.... How on Earth can the fact that the person responsible for the music being played is seldom present at the events be a good thing? Is it any wonder their venues are dying?
TeeDee
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I use MixMeister

Thanks G-Man - will take a look at this...
Sugarfoot
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"The-G-Man"

I will be doing the same soon but the plus feature on the program i use is that i can drop and edit tracks whilst the music is playing for ease of use if people request music.

I have been DJing at weekenders for the last 3 years and seen the gradual transition of most DJs going digital (at least in part). Most of the well known DJ s have tried various software as have I.

Most have now settled with Traktor DJ: www.native-instruments.com
Worth searching around for best price though.
They also have free software Beatport that will probably do most of what you want except pre listen.

You will need a new sound card to pre listen. Best solution is Indigo DJ that simply plugs into the express port with outs for mixer and headphones.

You can download a trial version to play around with. You won't need most of the mixing stuff on DJ software, so although it can look confusing on the face of it, it is relatively simple once you know the bits you want to use.

Hope this helps.
The-G-Man
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have traktor Suite 3 but i didnt really get on with it, it reminded me of Virtual DJ (the 1st Version)

I do believe a few people use it thou.

Thanks for the advice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Southern UK Jive Forum Index -> Jive Music All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: