Southern  UK Jive Forum Index Southern UK Jive
Share Jive Experiences and Opinions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Go to the Southern UK Jive Calendar
History of Modern Jive in the Southern Area

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Southern Jiver
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: History of Modern Jive in the Southern Area Reply with quote

This thread is split from another thread where it was suggested that it might be interesting to get people's recollections of the development of Modern Jive in the Southern Area. I started at the King's Arms in Christchurch with Paul Amos in about 1998 and mainly the freestyles I attended were Mo'Jive at the Pavilion and Minstead. Paul used to play a lot of great Blues/Swing tracks that were great to Jive to. I don't have much information before that. Please feel free to post your recollections here and I will endeavour to collate the data into a history provided people agree on the facts. So, rack your brains and post your memories here. Where did you go to Jive? Where did you start? Who was teaching, demonstrating, Taxi dancing? What were the conditions like, dancefloor, bar, music? What were the numbers? etc etc.

DJ Bry wrote:
Ceroc was in Dorchester 1994 to late 1999 or early turn of the century.

Ceroc operated on a Monday night and towards the end was a franchise to Mark Gerard (now Pegasis Disco). Kieran Loftus was the Instructor.

Ceroc also operated in Weymouth as well.

Mo' Jive set up a Tuesday night in opposition at the same venue in Dorchester in about 2000?. Mo'Jive were formerly a Ceroc franchise and then gave up the franchise to start up their own company.

Mark Gerard gave up the Ceroc franchise and operated on his own shortly after Mo'jive opened. Later he gave up both Weymouth and Dorchester nights as the Mo'Jive Tuesday was so popular.

Have had a few older jivers (like me) comment on my post of facts!

They want to know was there and who were any other Jive Instructors in the early days of Ceroc in Weymouth and Dorchester.

I remember them well, in Dorchester there was Jamie, sorry dont know his full name, but he had a long pony tail.

Another Ceroc Instructor was Steve Taco, who was mainly with Mark Gerard and stayed with Mark when the Ceroc franchise was dropped and Mark became an Independent. I was at both nights when Mark anounced he was closing Weymouth, then some time later he closed Dorchester.

Steve started his own Jive Club after that in Weymouth and it's still going. So a previous Ceroc Instructor became an Independent but by default in a sense.

DJ Bry
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got History and Facts up and running as a new topic already SJ.

I'm hoping it will be a successful and interesting read for many jivers old and new. Also, operators will be able to correct any errors that they know of, so that an eventual very acurate history will emerge.

I will later this week give my history and the two clubs I ran in Portland and Weymouth.
DJ Bry
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Modern Jive in Dorchester, Weymouth and Portland. Reply with quote

Since I was the one who suggested to SJ to collate Modern Jive History in the Southern Area, it's only fitting that I start the post's with what I know and remember.

Please add any corrections or additions as YOU know them, to enable a fuller picture to emerge!

Dorchester was the first of the three towns above to start Modern Jive. Ceroc Direct operated the venue (now Ceroc Central) in 1994 to 1999. This was on a Monday night at The Corn Exchange, the Instructors were, Jamie, Kieran Loftus and Steve Taco.
Demonstrators names cannot remember, Taxi Dancers, Lesley, Anj and Lynn. But this became a franchise to Mark Gerard in that period and Steve Taco always did the teaching then.

Ceroc then opened at the Prince Regent Hotel in Weymouth in 1995 with the same staff. Later Mark Gerard transfered this night to the Ocean Room of the Weymouth Pavilion. Ceroc (franchise) closed both venues in about 2000.

Mo'jive operated at the Corn Exchange Dorchester on a Tuesday night from 2000 on and are still there today, with Instructor Russell Payne (also known as 'RedHotRhythm').

Jive Fever opened in Weymouth with Instructor Steve Taco in 2001 and have had several venues, presently at the Redlands Sports Centre on a Thursday night.

Bryan McKay (self) opened Modern Jive on Portland on a Thursday night as 'Weyport Jive Club' and with freestyles known as 'Rock on the Rock', in 2004. A second venue was opened in 2005 at 'St Edmunds Church Hall' Weymouth on a Monday night.
Instructor Bry McKay, Demonstrators Liz Trueman, Lorraine Jackson, Anj Taylor and Nicky Prior (forum Nicky). Taxi dancers Kelvin Prior, Baz, Max and the late Ann. Closed down in 2006 due to fathers ill health and needing lots of care at home. (some 450 people came through the doors).

Jive Riot (Kelly Donahue) and Mo'jive (RedHotRhythm) run Freestyles in Dorchester at Charlton Down and The Corn Exchange respectively, and have done so for a long while.

Hope this post dosn't upset anyone, it's only a factual history and hopefully an interesting read. Regards, DJ Bry.

NEXT PLEASE.
Southern Jiver
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My memory isn't too good but although I started out mostly with classes at the Kings Arms in Christchurch, I know that MoJive held monthly freestyles at Minstead, the Bournemouth Pavilion and later at West Totton. I was a regular at the Pavilion thursday classes. I attended a few classes and freestyles at Wilton when Carol was running it before Ceroc Live took over but I'm not sure what the name of the organisation was. I also went to a couple of freestyles at The Cattle Market at Salisbury run by Jiveolution which now has moved to Whitchurch. There were also great freestyles held at the Pirelli Club in Eastleigh of which I attended a few. Speaking of Eastleigh, I remember going to classes and freestyles at the Railway Institute, I think they were run by Kelly as Jive Riot but I'm not sure. I also attended classes at Ferndown with Kieran and later went to his Highcliffe classes. At some stage, and I can't remember the dates, Mark Roper held some freestyles in the Bournemouth Hotel and also at Kinson before Jive 'n' Kicking got in there, I believe.
Olly
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Southern Jiver said
Quote:
I attended a few classes and freestyles at Wilton when Carol was running it before Ceroc Live took over but I'm not sure what the name of the organisation was.

Carol McFadden ran Ceroc Salisbury which included Wilton, Warminster & Bramshaw classes & freestyles. Carol ran freestyles briefly at Totton when MoJive opened the MoClub in July 2007. Carol sold all her nights to Ceroc Fever and Ceroc Live when she moved out of the area in the Autumn of 2007. All these nights continue to run as Ceroc events, except the freestyle at Totton which was released back to Mojive when they sold their Barton Hall (Horndean) & Minstead classes/freestyles to Ceroc Fever and Hamworthy & Bournemouth classes/freestyles to Ceroc Live.
Southern Jiver
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Olly. I have just remembered that I attended a few freestyles at the Atherley School in Southampton which, I believe were held by MoJive.
Then I have a recollection of attending a couple of freestyles at Cobham, but I can't remember who was holding them at that time.
Kelly
Casual Poster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Jive History Reply with quote

I started dancing in 1992 when Phil Rees of Mojive who was then Ceroc opened his first class at the Southampton Park Hotel. He then branched out and opened a class at the Railway institute in Eastleigh where I started as a demonstrator and then continued to demonstrate there for several years as Linder (Barker) Ellards demonstrator. During this time Phil opened several venues including the BTC club and branched into Portsmouth and extended interests in Dorset... details of which I can not confirm.

In 1995 due to circumstances which are not relevant I broke away and started Jive Riot, which was then known as leJive. I opened classes in Totton, Titchfield, and in 1996 Wimborne and Winchester!

I ran Live music freestyles at Minstead for many years and then due to the sound limiter moved them to The Empire Hall at Totton.

I later opened classes in Poole with Paul Walker, Kieran Loftus taught for me for a while at Wimborne and I opened a class and freestyle in Peterfield which closed after a while due to the venue being shut down.

During this time Ceroc moved from the Railway institute to Pirelli's and became MoJive and LeJive disbanded and we became Jive Riot.

Over the years various venues opened and closed and independants have come, gone and stayed to develop into the jive scene on the southcoast as we now know it!

This is a brief breakdown of the very early years but explains how Jive started in Hampshire.... Phil Rees and Mojive and me with Jive Riot!
Kelly
Casual Poster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Jive History Reply with quote

To help with recollections.... i have run classes at

Titchfield Community Center - Fareham
Ferndown Royal British Legion
The Corn Exchange in Blandford
The Empire Hall - Totton
The Railway Institue - Eastleigh
Cobham Sports & Social Club - Wimborne
The Savoy Ball Room - Petersfield
The Con Club - Poole
Newtown Con Club - Poole (When Cobham was burnt down)
A converted church in Bournemouth (Name I cant remember)
Winchester Guild Hall & at the Army club in Winchester

... I have run freestyles at

Minstead Village Hall
The Empire Hall - Totton
Cobham Sports & Social Club - Nr Wimborne
The Allendale Center - Wimborne
Herrison Hall - Dorchester
Titchfield Community Center
Crosfield Hall - Romsey
The Savoy Ballroom in Petersfield

Thats all I can remember at the moment but will add any that come to mind Very Happy
Baz T

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: St Edmunds Church Hall Reply with quote

I rember it well DJBry, thats where I started on a Monday night with Kelvin and Nicky (who took me there) Happy Days Kind regards BazT
Jiveonaut
Forum legend

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ceroc Salisbury was at the Netherhampton Cattle market when I started in Jan 2001, with the hugely wonderful Carol McFadden at the helm. My memory's a bit shaky, but I seem to remember a chap called Danny taught there for a bit.... Carol moved to the Michael Herbert Hall in Jan 2002, and was there until, as Olly says, Cerocs Live and Fever took over her various venues and events in 2007. Olly will I'm sure correct me, but Ceroc Fever took over Bramshaw (which Carol took over from I can't remember the company name but I can remember the two people who ran it but no names, no pack drills...), Wilton and a Totton freestyle (which Carol bought out from Mojive?) , while Ceroc Live took over Warminster.
About the a year later there was the big Ceroc shake up, where Ceroc Fever moved south and east, relinquishing the Wilton venue to Ceroc Live, retaining the Bramshaw venue and taking on the ex-Mojive events Ollys already mentioned, with Ceroc Live going south and west to the Verwood Hub and the Bournemouth pavilion, to the situation we're in approximately today.
When Carol moved to the MHH, another jive outfit, I think it was Jiveolution from the off, took on the cattle market venue but this didn't last. During this time their DJ, Dezi, was tragically killed in a motorcycle accident and Jiveolution still hold a DWAS competition annually at their venue in Whitchurch in his memory. DYD also had a pop at the same venue a couple of years ago but again it folded, I believe to a lack of numbers.
There was a Jive venue started in Amesbury as well. Again, I've forgotten its original name (bad memory...!) but Jive Mad and Dave Newth took it on (in 2008?). This lasted for about a year, but folded due to a lack of numbers. The freestyles though packed the Bowman centre, so Jive Mad shifted them to the Ludgershall sports centre/school, where they've been to this day.

Brain is empty: very happy to correct anything I've got wrong.
Southern Jiver
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked Phil and Elaine if they could contribute to this thread and Elaine very kindly sent me this to post :

The Mojive Story

My name is Elaine Rees, and together, with my brother, Phil Rees, we started what is known today as 'Mojive'. Some people have expressed interest in hearing our story. So, here it is, plain and true.

Born and bred in Bournemouth, I went to live in London in 1986. It was here that a friend introduced me to 'Ceroc'. One Wednesday night, I found myself climbing down the stairs of a somewhat seedy nightclub, called the Beat Route, in the middle of Soho. As I turned the corner, I was stunned by about 20 people dancing what we know as 'modern jive'. The only way to be taught was either for someone to take pity on you or to get 5 minutes 1:1 with a teacher, dressed in white, with 'Ceroc' emblazoned on their t-shirt! Both happened to me that night and I was instantly hooked.

At that stage there was no teaching format or classes as we know them today. The only way to learn was a weekly visit to the nightclub or an hour's class in Pineapple Studio with Janie and James Cronin, the pioneers of 'Ceroc'. Nowadays, you can dance 7 nights of the week all over the country. Back then, we could get a MONTHLY Freestyle Fix at Porchester Hall in Queensway, Bayswater and my heart would thump wildly as I climbed the steps, heard the music and entered the dance hall. At a personal level I became great friends with Janie and James and eventually did a little teaching for them.

When I left London 6 years later and returned to Bournemouth, I felt bereft. The only people who could dance with me were Tim, my partner, and Phil, my brother. When James contacted me and offered me a Ceroc Franchise for Bournemouth I was ecstatic. By then, the teaching of large numbers had evolved and Ceroc was fully fledged in London and had started in a franchise in Norwich.

I already had a full-time job so needed help setting up the franchise. My younger brother, Phil, was a mobile DJ and had a little spare time on his hands. I went up to London for my one week training course and learnt to teach. Our partnership was born and our lives were changed forever.

Our first venue was King Arthurs Court in Bournemouth - a medieval banqueting hall complete with a Dragons Bar and heated swimming pool underneath! We ran our first night ever in March 1992 with 40 people - mainly family and friends. I taught, James came to demonstrate with me, Phil was DJ and Tim doubled up as cashier and taxi-dancer. After seeing the joy and fun we could generate, Phil and I vowed that, whatever the number of people, we would ensure they always had a good time. It has always been a guiding principle and I think it is what helped us through our more challenging times.

As far as I am aware this was the first modern jive night EVER to be held on the south coast of England.

After 6 weeks we nearly gave up...numbers dwindled. Nobody knew what this thing called Ceroc or modern jive was and it was a concept so difficult to convey. Partner dancing, at that time, was confined to ballrooms, church halls and tea dances. Then, one day, a lady called Maggie arrived. Maggie knew lots of people, loved the dance and kept bringing her friends to discover it. I shall always be indebted to that woman because numbers almost overnight went from 20 to 60!

We grew out of the 'court' and moved to The Palace Nightclub in the centre of Bournemouth. It was here that we had our first TV appearance on BBC South Today and that just helped to seal things for us. It was also here that our stage, on several occasions, consisted of a wooden plank balanced on 4 beer crates!

We went from strength to strength and venue to venue including the Marsham Court Hotel, Benedicts and even the end of Bournemouth Pier! One of our best places was The Academy (now The Opera House) in Boscombe which was a beautiful and massive nightclub with plenty of atmosphere. In this venue Toyah Wilcox came to do a TV feature and Phil's claim to fame is that he dropped her into a First Move Seducer! We finally ended up in two of our favourite venues - the lovely Bournemouth Pavilion and the friendly Hamworthy Club.

Meanwhile, we had our sights set on other areas and we opened our first night in Southampton with 100 people. Portsmouth soon followed and we also ventured into Eastleigh, Dorchester and Bristol. We soon realised we needed more teachers to take on these ever-growing nights. One of our first teachers was a lively, fun-loving lady called Linda and she was a great support in our early days. Many other teachers followed, all bringing their own charm, vitality and personality to the crew. These include Kerrin Osmond, Bernice Charlton, Keiran Loftus, Steve Takel, Jeremy Ray, David Reeves, Rebecca White, Simon Harper, Russell Payne, Karina Pink, Jaime Cooke, Dan Murrell, Keith Williams, Miranda Hewitt-Williams, Sharon Havers, Richard Thompson, Nick Gard, Tom Gurd, Nicola Waight, Sarah Roberts, Caroline Spencer-Perkins, Wai Wan, Joanne Roe, Sophie Courant, Kelly Hailes and our newest recruit Alison Greenaway.

We also needed top-class DJs which we trained up ourselves. Our head music man was, and still is, a fantastic guy called Martin Lake (alias Master Blaster) who pioneered a complete method for music on a Mojive night. He has been brilliantly accompanied by Lee Ashdown and Marc E May!

After a few years, we felt that the way we wanted to run the business was different from the way Ceroc were evolving. And, so we decided that it was time to take it forward on our own. Overnight 'Ceroc' became 'Mojive' and we concentrated our efforts in Bournemouth, Southampton and Portsmouth. Over the years we have tried to find the very best venues, worked hard to create the best music and developed our own training course to produce some of the very best instructors.

Bit by bit I have stepped out of the business to focus on other activites, mainly teaching yoga! Phil is a great visioner and risk-taker. He has seen the need to have a stable and tailored venue to offer to modern jivers. And, so, he took on the challenging task of creating his very own modern jive venue. This exists today in the form of the magnificient 'MoClub' in Southampton, where he runs two fabulous Mojive nights on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The MoClub is very special and is very well worth a visit. Take a look at www.themoclub.com and pop along to see us.

There is so much I could say about these times which saw us laugh a lot and cry at times. Suffice to say, I feel happy to have created something quite special and unique with my brother, to have met so many fantastic people and to have been able to convey the magical feeling that dancing modern jive can bring.

Elaine Rees

A huge thank you to Elaine for taking the time to put this together.
This certainly adds a large piece to the history of Jive in the South.

lyndaslist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow............ that was great bit of MJ history, thanks for shaing.

I remember Linda teaching in Bournemouth, isn't that where Mike first met her ?
Steve
Forum legend

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that was an interesting read. Just goes to show, I have believed for years that the Park Lane Hotel venue in Southampton was the first Ceroc South venue, because I was told that by more than one person back in the day (who have danced MJ longer than me). I guess it was the first Southampton venue.

The only regret I have about Mojive is that as Ceroc South, it was an extremely progressive franchise, with dancers coming from all over the UK to attend nights here because of the dance standard and quality of the teachers (different times, different standards of course, but back then "extremely high" didn't cover it). They also even had their own bluesey nights at one point before Utopia was a twinkle in Dave Rokov's eye Smile. Way ahead of most other Ceroc franchises at the time. IMO that progressiveness never really seemed to carry over into Mojive for whatever reason. That was a shame. Nonetheless, really fantastic memories from both Ceroc South and Mojive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Southern UK Jive Forum Index -> Jive Q & A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: