Southern  UK Jive Forum Index Southern UK Jive
Share Jive Experiences and Opinions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Go to the Southern UK Jive Calendar
It`s called Modern Jive!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Southern UK Jive Forum Index -> Jiver Soapbox
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thatsmycarr
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:09 am    Post subject: It`s called Modern Jive! Reply with quote

I have been jiving for a long time now and there is one thing that has always irritated me....

I spoke to a lady at a Ceroc evening the other day and she asked me where I normally jive as she hadn`t seen me there before. I told her of another venue I regularly attend, by another organisation.
She asked me if it was ceroc and I said no and gave her the name of the organisation that ran it and said she should try it. Her reponse was that she would love to, but only knows how to Ceroc!

The dance is called Modern jive. It is not called ceroc and it is not called Mojive. This does confuse the new people who come on to the scene and it does annoy me. Ceroc may do their own variation of the dance, but they don`t own it. They might think they do!

I must admit when I started 10 years or so ago, I thought it was called mojive and when I was looking for other places that did mojive, I couldn`t find any so never got to dance as much as I would have liked. I had been jiving for near on 2 years before I realised it was actually called Modern jive!
dancin-angel82
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, I used to think it was called Mo'jive to when I first started but that was way back before there were so many different jive organisation in the area to choose from.

My sister still refers to Modern Jive as Mo'jive, which is really bad considering she goes to a ceroc night now. It infuriates me no end and I am forever correcting her. I once arranged to meet her at Mo'jive and she went to Bramshaw because of this exact reason. We now call them by they're venue location ie. West quay, Bramshaw, Minstead etc. No changing some people Laughing Even my other half does it sometimes. Rolling Eyes
thatsmycarr
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comment dancin-angel. So glad I am not the only one it annoys Smile
Philsmove
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May be it is now, but the name Ceroc came first, followed by Leroc, both in the 80s

The term Modern Jive did not come along till 1990 and was "invented" by Christine Keeble

Have ever heard any one say "I am going to modern jive tonight " No, they say" I am going to Leroc" or "I am off to Ceroc"

I originally learnt Leroc and was told by my teacher, Ceroc was a completely different dance and the people who taught it, had two heads, walk left handed and spat a lot Rolling Eyes
Steve
Forum legend

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy..... ? Smile
thatsmycarr
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..But isn`t modern jive / ceroc / leroc just a variation of jive, which I believe came from Liny hop which started out in the late 20`s in New york, which was also a variation of the Charleston, which started in South carolina in the early 20`s?

People I know don`t say there are going to Ceroc or leroc, they say they are going Jiving Wink
Andy McGregor
Forum legend

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve wrote:
Andy..... ? Smile
I'm here.

To see when they started calling it "Modern Jive" you can look at the Modern Jive timeline here
http://www.modernjive.com/history/timeline.html

The first mention of "Modern Jive" is made in 1994. I can remember attending the LeJive Modern JIve Champs at Hammersmith Palais in 1997.

Robert Austin, the guy who ran LeJive, was claiming to have invented the term "Modern Jive" and also claimed to have written the only book about Modern Jive. It looks like it was published in 1997. When I met Mr Austin he told me he'd appeared on TV talking about his book. It's obviously out of print, but available second-hand on Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Learn-Dance-Modern-Robert-Austin/dp/1850586020

Does it bother me that people think Ceroc is a dance. YES! I do think it's great marketing by Ceroc to be the "Hoover" of Modern Jive. However, even Ceroc say "sometimes referred to as Modern Jive".

Sometimes I think I should invent a new name for the dance to really confuse people Twisted Evil
Olly
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's my Carr said
Quote:
People I know don`t say there are going to Ceroc or leroc, they say they are going Jiving

Funny that, I cannot really recall anyone ever say 'I am off jiving tonight.' Confused As dancin'angel 82 says, people often refer to the location thay are attending irrespective of the organisor. Perhaps this is because these conversations are mostly with people knowing who runs what, and therefore just mentioning a venue is all that is required.

Back to That's My Carr's original point about the name of the dance being modern jive and not Ceroc/Leroc etc, I think this is just like people often calling vacuum cleaners Hoovers. Like Hoover, Ceroc is a brand and not a product, it just happens to be the largest 'modern jive' brand and having been around since the early 1980's is probably why some people refer to the dance as Ceroc. Ceroc as an organisation does not promote Ceroc as the dance. What ever the reason people call 'modern jive' Ceroc, Mo'Jive Leroc or what ever - is it really worth getting annoyed over? What is annoying, is people who cannot pronounce the word Ceroc properly! Rolling Eyes
Andy McGregor
Forum legend

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olly wrote:
- is it really worth getting annoyed over?
What annoys me is that I am put in a position where I have to correct people. I regularly get phone calls asking if I teach Ceroc! I can't say as simple "yes". I'd probably be breaking some law or other and I am too old and ugly to be a Ceroc teacher. But I don't tell potential customers - some might say it's obvious!
Philsmove
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy McGregor wrote:
I regularly get phone calls asking if I teach Ceroc! I can't say as simple "yes". I'd probably be breaking some law or other !

Good point, does mean when I am next asked to Hover, I must say no
Andy McGregor
Forum legend

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philsmove wrote:
Good point, does mean when I am next asked to Hoover, I must say no
You probably need to say "we don't have a Hoover". This needs to be said just as the front door closes behind you and you take your whippet down the pub for a game of darts with your unreconstructed buddies.
thatsmycarr
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olly wrote:
Funny that, I cannot really recall anyone ever say 'I am off jiving tonight.'

I have to disagree. everyone I know says they are jiving or ask me if I am jiving. Nobody says am I cerocing. Maybe that`s because I rearly go to a Ceroc night now days, but I still don`t remember it in the past.

As for Andy`s coments on him being to old and ugly to be a Ceroc teacher... You have obviously not been to some of the Ceroc evenings I have been to in the past Smile
Olly
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's My Carr wrote:
Olly wrote:
Funny that, I cannot really recall anyone ever say 'I am off jiving tonight.' "

I have to disagree. everyone I know says they are jiving or ask me if I am jiving. Nobody says am I cerocing. Maybe that`s because I rearly go to a Ceroc night now days, but I still don`t remember it in the past.

How can you possibly disagree with my recollection? - I think I have a fair idea of what people say to me! Laughing I never said you were wrong in what people said to you, I have just not heard people say it.

I also do not know anyone saying 'I am Cerocing' even when talking about Ceroc nights, I just said people tend to name the venue when they talk about where they are dancing. Smile
Southern Jiver
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think I agree with everyone so far. I have heard people refer to doing Mojive and also going Jiving. I also got asked on a boat on the Nile if I did Ceroc. I'm not sure it matters what you call it these days, Ceroc, Leroc, Mojive, Modern Jive, Jiving...it's all the same type of partner dance. I always send out the emails to Facebook Southern Jive members each week saying "Where are you Jiving this weekend?" That about covers it for me. Razz

By the way, That's My Carr, you don't have a signature. Are you affiliated to any non-Ceroc dance organisation by any chance? Smile
thatsmycarr
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by a signature Southern Jiver? Sorry, I`m not hot on the P.C. lingo Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Southern UK Jive Forum Index -> Jiver Soapbox All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: