Southern  UK Jive Forum Index Southern UK Jive
Share Jive Experiences and Opinions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Go to the Southern UK Jive Calendar
Are people put off by two room freestyles?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Southern Jiver
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Are people put off by two room freestyles? Reply with quote

Thread split off from here.

Dancing Frog wrote:
I will give Sublime a miss however, being a single gent I really don't want to spend half the night walking from one dance floor to the other and back again in search of a partner and at the same time hoping to find a tune to dance to too. It is OK if you are one of a pair or in a group and know you will have a partner with you all night.
Sorry, Dancing Frog, I have to offer my opinion on your statement. You really shouldn't have to search for partners or tracks to dance to. Two rooms will offer two opportunities to dance and in each room there will be plenty of willing dance partners. If you are referring to the more intimate dancing which is part of dancing the Blues, it's only a matter of confidence. I'm a single gent and have, until fairly recently been an uptempo dancer. I felt that the slower tracks were a waste of dancing time. However, now I have done some Blues workshops and classes, I am loving it. I still love dancing to the more uptempo tracks but I have to say that dancing Blues offers so much more opportunity to express the music through dance and also to gain a much better rapport with your partner. It was difficult for me at first to overcome my embarrassment at the closer holds and slower music involved, but once I did that, I found that there were plenty of ladies who also enjoyed the slower pace and relished the opportunity to express themselves more through the music. I look at it as a chance to increase my dancing capabilities. It's in addition to my Jive. I now bring Blues moves to my Jiving which, I think, improves it. Give it a chance, I say.
Andy McGregor
Forum legend

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion it's all a journey. We need to pass through certain phases in our dance journey. And sometimes you can only enjoy the difference once you've got a point of reference. For example, SJ might not enjoy the smoother, bluesier music and style of dance quite so much if he'd not been through his phase of loving fast and furious music.

And once we realise that people are in different places in their personal dance journey it's difficult to look down on anyone - unless you take up West Coast Swing, then it seems like a compulsory part of the posture Wink
martin.p46

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy McGregor wrote:

And once we realise that people are in different places in their personal dance journey it's difficult to look down on anyone - unless you take up West Coast Swing, then it seems like a compulsory part of the posture Wink

A popular misconception toward wcs dancers and a comment which seems to contradict the ones that preceeded it Confused
Steve
Forum legend

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy McGregor wrote:
unless you take up West Coast Swing, then it seems like a compulsory part of the posture Wink

Lol. Nothing like peddling the same old prejudice there Andy. Innit. Smile.
Philsmove
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am with Dancing Frog on this one

Apart form Weekenders, I am not keen on two room events. The idea of having different types of music is good in theory, but more than often the DJs try to compete with each other to attract the most dancers. Its not unusual to here same track in both rooms

My personal preference is events like Switch and the Big Bath Bash, were the music slowes down and changes around midnight
Andy McGregor
Forum legend

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin.p46 wrote:
A popular misconception toward wcs dancers and a comment which seems to contradict the ones that preceeded it Confused
Did you miss the wink smiley? Please accept my apologies if you were offended. I was just kidding. And, as Steve says, it's an old, tired, prejudice with no foundation - outside London Wink
Andy McGregor
Forum legend

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philsmove wrote:
Apart form Weekenders, I am not keen on two room events. The idea of having different types of music is good in theory, but more than often the DJs try to compete with each other to attract the most dancers. Its not unusual to here same track in both rooms
Sometimes you get given a second room by the venue - it would be a sin not to use it for dancing.
Steve
Forum legend

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the "Twist" event design, but I prefer two rooms. It's just good to have a choice of music. Assuming the difference in the two rooms is the tempo of the music, the simple reason being that at a Twist event, the organiser decides when you get to dance slow or fast. At a two room event, I get to decide when I dance slow or fast.

And whilst I agree you don't want to be chuggin' back and forwards all the time between the two rooms, if one of them does get in a rut with the music (not unknown!), you do always have the second choice of music to try.

The only two room freestyle I have attended regularly outside of weekenders and can therefore comment on is The Hub. Extremely popular and no complaints about the music in the second room there, it was "as described" and markedly different from the main room music.
Southern Jiver
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this thread originated as a question about two-room freestyles but Steve mentioned that he likes to have the choice. I just want to add that I have attended a couple of three room freestyles in Winchester and they were excellent. They had mainstream "Jive Music" playing in the main room, "Latin & Swing" playing in another room and "Blues" playing in a third room. This provided an amazing choice and I wandered into each room as the urge took me. I had great dances in all three rooms and loved the variety presented there. Of course, you could always choose to stay in the one room that suits your preference and still have an enjoyable night.
DJ Bry
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have slowly got to love the 'Two Rooms' over the past two years. I have even upgraded my DJ equipment to cater for a hire where two rooms are available.

One of the things I really like is also mentioned on the forum, and that is, 'Being asked for a Dance and a Refusal'! I never refuse a request of a dance!

BUT, I dance four to six nights a week, and with over sixteen years of modern jive under my belt,
I'm getting a bit selfish!

To explain!

Having danced reasonably locally Monday to Thursday and always helping and dancing with newbies at these venues. Come Friday and Saturday I will travel for one or up to two hours each way, incurring very high fuel costs, extra entry fee and it's like, 'My Night Off'! So if I start getting lots of requests from newbies in the main jive hall, I can then go to the 'Second or Alternative Room' and relax or dance a different style. The perfect solution for me, without ever refusing a dance!

Long may Two or even more rooms continue!

Last edited by DJ Bry on Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Andy McGregor
Forum legend

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ Bry wrote:
Come Friday and Saturday I will travel for one or up to two hours, incurring very high fuel costs, extra entry fee and it's like, 'My Night Off'! So if I start getting lots of requests from newbies in the main jive hall, I can then go to the 'Second or Alternative Room' and relax or dance a different style. The perfect solution for me, without ever refusing a dance!
I have another solution. I'm almost never asked to dance. There's at least two reasons: the first is that I'm very quick to ask the next nearest woman: the second is more complex and I don't understand it - I can stand at the edge of a dancefloor full of people I've taught to dance and I don't get asked much. I'm asked even less at venues where nobody knows me - at a recent visit to the Hub, where I'm delightfully anonymous, I was asked once: even then it was "my friend says I should ask you to dance" Confused

Could it be that I've lost my looks?
Nicky
Forum legend

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am definitely drawn to a venue that offers me the choice of two rooms, but that is not to say that they always work. I would expect a two roomed event to offer me two very different playlists, but in reality that doesn't always happen.

There is also the problem of numbers.... If an event is well attended, no problem, but if it's quiet....!!! Shocked
TeeDee
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy McGregor wrote:
.... the second is more complex and I don't understand it - I can stand at the edge of a dancefloor full of people I've taught to dance and I don't get asked much. I'm asked even less at venues where nobody knows me ....

No need to get paranoid, Andy. I get exactly the same thing. If I didn't ask (a lot) then I wouldn't dance (a lot). Given up trying to understand it, so just get on and ask (a lot) Laughing
Andy McGregor
Forum legend

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TeeDee wrote:
No need to get paranoid, Andy. I get exactly the same thing. If I didn't ask (a lot) then I wouldn't dance (a lot). Given up trying to understand it, so just get on and ask (a lot) Laughing
Thanks, I've been worried I'm losing my looks ....
Philsmove
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be interesting to see how ceroc le beat's two room event at the Winter Gardens WS Mare on the 12 Jan works out

The second room has a mixture of WCS and Blues

One nice touch, the second room closes 30min before the end, so every one will in the same room for last dance
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Southern UK Jive Forum Index -> Jive Q & A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: