Southern  UK Jive Forum Index Southern UK Jive
Share Jive Experiences and Opinions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Go to the Southern UK Jive Calendar
tracks well past their sell by date
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"All that jazz" is guaranteed to get me off the floor for a rest.

I really like "The Bongo Song" but it doesn't get played much these days.

DJs who save "Candy Man" until the last 15 minutes have a cruel sense of humour but it's great fun to dance to.
Southern Jiver
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to smile. The last track played at the Jive Riot freestyle at Romsey was.......yes, "Save the last dance". Also, at the DYD freestyle my least favourite track, "All That Jazz" got an airing. Crying or Very sad
Mike J
Regular

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. It is a bit strange that someone mentions All that jazz and now everyone is having a dig at it. I actually like it and haven`t heard it that much. I do like a song with a good build up.
As for songs that have had enough... Wade in the water. What is that all about??. Sends me to the land of nod and also in to your soul. I believe it is by DD Bridge over troubled water, or something like that Smile. Please D.j`s make plant pots out of these Smile

Mike J
qdos
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotlight
Sugarfoot
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike J wrote:
songs that have had enough... Wade in the water. What is that all about??. Sends me to the land of nod and also in to your soul. I believe it is by DD Bridge over troubled water, or something like that Smile. Please D.j`s make plant pots out of these Smile

Mike J

Hmm…guilty your honour, I believe I introduced Into My Soul by Dee Dee Bridgewater & Gabin into this area quite a while ago. It is probably one of those tracks that has now been overplayed, but it still makes me want to dance (prob because I don’t hear it that often).

Wade in the Water is another overplayed track even though it is still well liked. Sometimes you can give a fresh feel to an old favourite if you play a different version as long as it is tasteful. I like Kathy Mattea’s version at the moment, at little quicker and a bit more punchy.
DJ Andy
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sugarfoot wrote:
Mike J wrote:
songs that have had enough... Wade in the water. What is that all about??. Sends me to the land of nod and also in to your soul. I believe it is by DD Bridge over troubled water, or something like that Smile. Please D.j`s make plant pots out of these Smile

Mike J

Hmm…guilty your honour, I believe I introduced Into My Soul by Dee Dee Bridgewater & Gabin into this area quite a while ago. It is probably one of those tracks that has now been overplayed, but it still makes me want to dance (prob because I don’t hear it that often).

Also guilty! I've been playing this since 2006 and sorry but I still love it!
Try not to play it too often though. Wink
TeeDee
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lady Gaga - Poker Face. Starting to get really bored with this one!
lilblue
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to agree with nearly everybody else that has posted here - All That Jazz has the effect of making me grumpy whilst dancing, to my ears it's just a load of noise, but I always seem to get caught in the mad scramble as most other people lose the plot trying to find a partner for it! Also Human by the Killers has been so overdone! I suppose to dislike two tracks out of all the ones I hear whilst dancing isn't bad!
Nicky
Forum legend

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lilblue wrote:
Quote:
Also Human by the Killers has been so overdone!

I know exactly what you mean....It was the same with Black and Gold by Sam Sparro for me... It was played to death! I can just about listen to it again without flailing my arms and rolling my eyes Laughing
Mick Hyall
Regular

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lilblue wrote:
Also Human by the Killers has been so overdone!

Arrh!

Don't talk to me about that song. The vocalist has such a whiny voice I feel the urge to shake him by the shoulders until his teeth chatter. (The bit about 'we're on our knees looking for answers' is just too evocative...'Mick's knee - meet killer's nose') Same with Enrique Iglesias 'I could be your hero...' *shudder*

But the Killers' track engages one of the 'South coast jive' rules.

If the word 'dance' or any of its derivatives features in the lyrics, hoorah! it's a jive song! and must be played ad nauseam.

(PS I'm not violent rilly.)

Last edited by Mick Hyall on Thu May 21, 2009 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mick Hyall
Regular

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicky wrote:
I can just about listen to it again without flailing my arms and rolling my eyes Laughing

You know, I've always liked that aspect of your dance style...
Nicky
Forum legend

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mick Hyall wrote:
Quote:
You know, I've always liked that aspect of your dance style...

Wow! Somebody thinks I have a dance style.... Many have tried to imitate but, fortunately, few have succeeded Very Happy
Bungle
Casual Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tracks I can't stand fall into two distinct categories. Apologies but I can't always remember exact track names

1. Never liked
Eiffel 65 - Blue da ba dee
Sophie Ellis Bextor - Murder on the dance floor (it'll be murder in the DJ booth next time I hear this!)
Kylie Minogue - La La La
The bongo song

2. Used to like, until they became hopelessly overplayed
Vem vet (that foreign track!)
Mavericks - Just want to dance the night away
Shania Twain

A few months back a DJ played Jon Bon Jovi - Livin on a prayer, obviously it was someones request, but where does a DJ draw the line and just say no?

Nicky wrote:
ALL THAT JAZZ.....

How many more times do we have to hear it played.....A particularly bad track when so many people seem to struggle to dance to it!!!

Hmmm, a lot of people in this thread listed this track as one of their dislikes. Surely if people are struggling to dance to it then DJs should keep playing it until people learn to cope with it. Twisted Evil

From my point of view I will be permanently indebted to those DJs that have played music that was challenging. Without that I couldn't have developed as a dancer beyond stringing together moves smoothly for the duration of a track. The flip side of this is that many places I go are not playing music that inspires me, so I hardly go anymore Sad

I asked a DJ once for some swing music, their response, 'It's in the van, no-one asks for it normally'. If people are to progress beyond the point of dancing to something that goes thump-thump-thump-thump in a highly predictable manner for 4 minutes the music policy at many venues needs to change. More swing, more jazz, and anything else that requires a little more thought from the dancers. Of course, I'm assuming that people want to be moved out of their comfort zone, and that might not be the case
Mops
Regular

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to confess to being a fan of All That Jazz!! Embarassed

My current real bugbear....Now I can Dance - Teena Areena....ARGH!!!!!
Jiveonaut
Forum legend

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think All That Jazz is one of the best jiving tracks ever. Ever ever ever. And if you like I'll go into a huge discourse about counting to eight, breaks, dips, stops and timing, to which ATJ is absolutely perfect for. Especially with a regular partner, its just awesome. (Lilblue, one day you and I will have a dance to it....please....) It has a colossal amount of musicality which, as mentioned in a different thread, lots of modern songs just don't have and with which I love playing with when dancing. And its designed, unlike so much other music, as a piece of music, to dance to.
I also love the Bongo Song, as it has variety, musicality, gets the adrenalin going and because it was the first song I danced to that I first "got" dancing.
I like the afore-mentioned Tina Arena track a lot as well, because it is a great track and I had a dancing'moment' with it. I can even show you where, to within two feet, and at which venue: it was that good. Its also a bit different, it is a 'romantic' song, as opposed to a 'sexy' song, and so it does require a slightly different way of approaching it. It is, if you like, a waltz not a samba.
The Killers 'Human', again has some great memories for me too (Mops.... Wink ) and despite having the word dancer in it (always thought he was a reindeer...) is again a track you can play with.
Poker Face I don't particularly like as a song, never mind to dance to so the sooner thats off the plot the better in my book.
"Save the Last Dance", awesome again, but if you listen to the words you should realise it should never be the last track!
One that has fallen off the radar is the Harry Connick Jr version of 'It had to be you', a la When Harry met Sally. Simply brill. Please play it!!!
Vem Vet and Wade on the Water will get me aiming at the floor everytime.

Is it me, or are most of the songs I've mentioned and which are mentioned elsewhere in this thread as being supposedly past their sell by date all songs that may be considered as slightly slower and harder to dance to, or at least ask for more than just doing moves like you've always done them?

I also don't think they've been over-played. I just think they stand out because they are 'musically richer' then so much of the top 40 stuff that gets played and so people THINK they're overplayed, when they're not. They're just surrounded by forgettable tosh. Compare Cheryl Cole's wet and weedy 'fight fight fight for this love' to Agnes's absolutely belting and musically spicy 'Release Me' and hopefully you'll get what I'm driving at.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Southern UK Jive Forum Index -> Jive Music All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: