Southern  UK Jive Forum Index Southern UK Jive
Share Jive Experiences and Opinions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Go to the Southern UK Jive Calendar
tracks well past their sell by date
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy McGregor
Forum legend

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jiveonaut wrote:
I think All That Jazz is one of the best jiving tracks ever. Ever ever ever.
I absolutely agree with this. The best version is the Ute Lempur version that most people play. There's a few dodgy versions with a talky bit in the middle.

I love this track so much I could dance to it for an hour with a different partner each time and still find something different in the music.

Same with Vem Vet, Now I Can Dance, Wade in the Water, Save the Last Dance, etc. These songs are classics. How can they ever be "overplayed"?

p.s. I also agree that Save the Last Dance should never be played as the last dance. What kind of fool does that? My guess is someone who forgets who is taking them home ...
Nicky
Forum legend

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jiveonaut wrote:
Quote:
I think All That Jazz is one of the best jiving tracks ever. Ever ever ever.

Andy McGregor wrote:
Quote:
I absolutely agree with this.

For me, it isn't really a case of disliking the track, its simply a case of over exposure and bad dance experiences....I always loved dancing to this with one particular, lovely young DJ/dancer. He listened to the track, interprepted the music and lyrics perfectly, and hit all the stops. I now find it soooo frustrating dancing to it with people who plod their way through it, completely oblivious to the musicality in the track.

I would also say that, after having heard it at every Mojive venue, day in day out, week after week, for so many years, I now rarely hear it at the venues I attend. However, I can only find it a pleasure to dance to with the right partner!

Andy McGregor wrote:
Quote:
I love this track so much I could dance to it for an hour with a different partner each time and still find something different in the music.

Thats where we differ big time....Whilst there are certain tracks that I adore dancing to, I would hate for them to be overplayed. They loose their magic when that happens. Richard P has the right approach, in my opinion; he tries not to replay any track for a couple of weeks after having played it at a venue. His sets never become stale or predictable.

Music is such an incredibly subjective thing..... One mans meat is another mans poison! Very Happy
Steve
Forum legend

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those tracks mentioned in the last three or four posts, when they first came out, I enjoyed dancing to just about all of them, but now they are well and truly overplayed. (although maybe one or two are due there second coming).

Virtually all those songs come into a category I would call 'recent classics', and whilst I would also agree that some of them, particularly 'All that Jazz' have a "lot going on". I guess a "lot going on" might delay an 'overplayed' judgement, but it most certainly doesn't preclude it.

Over the years I have a developed a long list of DJ faults Smile But for freestyles (not lesson nights) and most dancers past the intermediate stage, I think one of the worse is the inability to tell the difference between 'familiar' (which might be argued is a vital component of the vast majority of freestyles) and 'overplayed'.

Some DJ's (or owners if they create the playlists) mimic this 'inability' by substituting laziness, but the effect is the same.

As an experienced dancer, an evening sacrificed on the alter of overplayed is now the cardinal sin a DJ can commit. Jeez, it's not like there is a shortage of good MJ music out there!
DJ Andy
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve wrote:

....As an experienced dancer, an evening sacrificed on the alter of overplayed is now the cardinal sin a DJ can commit. Jeez, it's not like there is a shortage of good MJ music out there!

...but...but..but!

How do I know what's been overplayed in your neck of the woods?

If I choose not to play 'All That Jazz' for example, for 6 months, but then decide it's ready for a spin, on the one night you decide to attend the venue I'm DJ'ing at, you might accuse me of playing 'overplayed' tunes, but that wouldn't neccessarily be the case relative to the local venue.

And anyway what constitutes 'overplaying' in your book?
Once a week, every week for six months? Well maybe.
But, every other week?...once a month?

The answer will depend on how often you dance, and keen regular dancers will end up hearing some of these tunes far more often than the more occasional modern jiver who attends a class night every other week and maybe goes to a freestyle once a month.

The sort of tracks mentioned in the posts above, I do try to 'ration', in that I don't play them week-in, week-out, but they do get requested occasionally, so it would be bloody-minded of me to never play them at all!
Steve
Forum legend

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ Andy wrote:
Steve wrote:

....As an experienced dancer, an evening sacrificed on the alter of overplayed is now the cardinal sin a DJ can commit. Jeez, it's not like there is a shortage of good MJ music out there!

...but...but..but!

How do I know what's been overplayed in your neck of the woods?

You don't.

But the bad stuff is pretty well known. Tracks don't get overplayed unless they are initially good, and news of good tracks spreads pretty well in the MJ world.

Besides, I have read threads in other forums about 'overplayed tracks' in many areas of the UK, and they always pretty much tally with my thoughts on the subject. It seems a high percentage of it is universal.

After all, even I accept that every MJ freestyle (barring maybe one or two obscure 'alternative' ones) is going to have a percentage of overplayed material. It goes with the territory, so any regional variations are pretty much swallowed up in that.

DJ Andy wrote:

The answer will depend on how often you dance, and keen regular dancers will end up hearing some of these tunes far more often than the more occasional modern jiver who attends a class night every other week and maybe goes to a freestyle once a month.

The sort of tracks mentioned in the posts above, I do try to 'ration', in that I don't play them week-in, week-out, but they do get requested occasionally, so it would be bloody-minded of me to never play them at all!

That is true. I guess that's where all this magical 'reading the floor' I keep hearing so much about comes into it Smile

Taking requests.... I never understood for a while how problematical accepting requests is. So many things are in favour of requests generally being overplayed dross.
The fact that generally the vast majority of dancers don't actually memorize the titles of songs, except a very few that have been played so much it's kinda sunk in. You guessed it, played so much they are the overplayed ones.
The fact that long time dancers tend to make less requests, because they already know which nights play what they like and stick to those nights knowing the music will be good for them, and if it's good for them, why bother to request anything? I often don't Smile

Etc etc etc. Smile
Andy McGregor
Forum legend

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve wrote:
But the bad stuff is pretty well known. Tracks don't get overplayed unless they are initially good, and news of good tracks spreads pretty well in the MJ world.
Tracks don't become overplayed because they're bad. Tracks become overplayed because they're good.

Consider ATJ, I know this track has been played over and over. But I still love it and it will always be a classic MJ track for the more experienced dancer. I have to ration how often I play this track and probably play it one night in twenty. On the other hand, there's some up to the minute tracks that I get requested every week. And I play them every week until some new "up to the minute" track takes their place. Some time ago Black & Gold was one of those tracks - I haven't played it for ages and can't even remember what took it's place.

I think there is a difference between a track that is overplayed because it is fashionable outside MJ and a track that is an MJ classic that gets played a lot. I think that difference is based on the quality of the track. Great tracks will get played a lot and will stand the test of time while others will go the way of flares and cheesecloth shirts.

On the subject of requests, I'm in two minds. Some requests are fabulous memory joggers of a great track you haven't played for ages and other requests are for tracks that people know you're very unlikely to play - usually for a good reason! It's always difficult when you get a request for a track that you think won't work as you know it makes someone's night if you play their request. So long as it's the right tempo I usually sandwich their track between two very popular floor-fillers.
Steve
Forum legend

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy McGregor wrote:
Steve wrote:
Tracks don't become overplayed because they're bad. Tracks become overplayed because they're good.

We are of one mind. Scary Smile
Dr Dance
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic!!! Spent an absolute ages reading the thread.

Just one thing to add. Went to a class the other day and they played some really old songs. Ones that you wouldn't think would be good jive tracks. They were actually ok but the thing that made it stand out was the fact that everyone knew the songs and were dancing and singing to it.

Usually I hate that sort of thing but it was extremely fun and turned out to be an excellent evening. Ok the 2 bottles of wine consume did help Very Happy Apparently the DJ has been playing this track at this time of evening almost all the time.

Did over-played killed the jiving star? I guess not!
Baz T

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"All That Jazz" its to be feared of by learners like me, gosh the beat is all over the place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Southern UK Jive Forum Index -> Jive Music All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: