Southern  UK Jive Forum Index Southern UK Jive
Share Jive Experiences and Opinions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Go to the Southern UK Jive Calendar
Weekender Events for other Dance Styles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Southern UK Jive Forum Index -> Other Dance Styles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sugarfoot
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: UK WCS Dance Championships & workshops 2009 Reply with quote

UK WCS Dance Championships & workshops 2009
17 - 19th April

Although this is a Championship, most people go for the social dancing and workshops.

This will be the third UK-WEST COAST SWING DANCE CHAMPIONSHIPS weekend, at The Winter Gardens, Weston-super-Mare. It's getting bigger and better each year!

A truly awesome weekend of...

* John Lindo WCS workshops
* WCS competitions
* Cabarets performances
* WCS social dancing
* Blues/Smooth Jive freestyle

Full details at: www.jiveaddiction.com
Sugarfoot
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Saturday at London Docklands

WCS event with workshops throughout the day a BBQ in the evening and freestyle to a Live Blues Band at night.

Organised by Samantha Buckwalter

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=49142904214
Sugarfoot
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feedback on the WCS UK Championships at Western Super-Mare 17th – 19th April

My second year at this event (I missed the first year)

Last year I was told that I due to being a WCS newbie I would find the event daunting. It was the opposite; I found it to be the friendliest dance event I ever attended. This year was even better and shows that WCS UK is growing both in numbers and standard. I have made it clear before that I am not into completion dancing myself, but full respect for the hard work and dedication of all those who did compete…Brilliant entertainment. The competition standard has got much tighter…it is getting harder to pick clear winners. I would hate to be a judge. The only real surprise for me was in Lee Easton & Fabienne Henshall only placing 3rd in the Open Strictly Swing. The way they hit the musical timing in their part of the track had the whole audience on their feet, an awesome moment.

Venue
This is the best dance venue I have been to with great floors in both rooms. The layout with the floor seating and balcony seating is really good.

The Weather
Wow...I though I was in the Med. Got a great tan walking the beach.

Accommodation
Worth doing your homework on this one; we had a fab hotel with a restaurant looking out to sea 3min walk from the venue. Great food and a nice warm up bar before hitting the dance floor.

The Royston’s
Robert & Nicola are fantastic ambassadors for WCS. They have so much time for people even though they are working their socks off. I can’t believe Nicola (7 months pregnant) did a cabaret; that’s dedication. Very detailed workshops as always.

John Lindo
Looked in on his workshops. He works them hard. ‘’Your killing me followers’’ ‘’That was crap leaders’’. He knew what he wanted and he was going to get it!!! The way he worked the floor at night he should be super fit (not xxx stone)??? The ladies were on cloud 9 after dancing with him. I was unlucky enough to dance with his partners straight after him 3 times in a row on the Sat. I decided to go to the other side of the hall. Laughing

The French
I think a subtle invasion is taken place that is way more successful the Napoleon. They distract us with there sexy French ladies (so easy) and sneak off with our trophies. They are so enthusiastic, great team cabaret and amazing showcase. I bet the British girls are already worrying about being throw 20’ into the air for a backward somersault next year.

Well done to Cat and Paul for their hard work in making it possible for the first WCS team event this year. The teams get so many more dancers involved that otherwise might not. I know Mandy will be trying hard to get a team together for 2010.

Music
Victor from the States played quite more of the retro Blues whilst our UK DJs provided a god mix. Sheepman played an old favourite rock track ‘Burlesque by Family’ I tested this out a couple of weeks before. It demonstrates how diverse WCS music can be. A second room provided music for MJ, Blues & Tango.

A massive thanks to John & Wes of Jive Addiction for doing what they always do best.
TeeDee
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please excuse me - couple of beers inside me...

Sugerfoot - you have way to much time on your hands!!! Very Happy
Sugarfoot
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TeeDee wrote:
Please excuse me - couple of beers inside me...

Sugerfoot - you have way to much time on your hands!!! Very Happy

Yep...when my feet arn't busy, my hands start a walking. Laughing
Sugarfoot
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bramshaw West Coast Swing WORKSHOPS, BBQ & Freestyle
SATURDAY 4th JULY

We are hosting a day of WCS workshops at the Bramshaw venue, bringing down at least 3 sets of top teachers & hopefully a teacher from the US. Workshops will be for beginners through to intermediate

Workshops 1-6pm, BBQ/Picnic & Freestyle till Midnight! More details to follow but keep the date free as this will be an event not to be missed!
Sugarfoot
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK..with teachers booked etc, I can confirm with more details.

A fantastic opportunity for local dancers to learn from not just 1, but 3 sets of visiting top teachers.

West Coast Swing Workshops, BBQ & Freestyle SAT 4th JULY

With special guest teachers from the UK and USA:

Samantha Buckwalter – 2006 US Open Champion & twice Strictly Swing Champion in 2007

Kevin Flynn – westcoastswinglondon.com

Pete & Eva – westcoastswingcentral.com

Hosted & Assisted by: Ian Smith & Mandy Henderson

1-6pm Saturday 4th July 2009
Bramshaw Village Hall, New Forest

Complimentary tea, coffee, soft drinks, biscuits & fruit

£25 per person for either package

Full details about the after Workshop BBQ, freestyle & booking etc at: www.smoothjivefusion.co.uk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Southern UK Jive Forum Index -> Other Dance Styles All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: