Southern  UK Jive Forum Index Southern UK Jive
Share Jive Experiences and Opinions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Go to the Southern UK Jive Calendar
Don't play that, play this!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jiveonaut
Forum legend

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Don't play that, play this! Reply with quote

There are quite a few tracks that get played almost as the 'token' genre track: good examples of this are Glenn Miller's 'In the Mood' as the token big band number, and 'Santa Maria' by the Gotan Project as the token tango nuevo track. While there's nothing wrong with these, and they are great to dance to, they do get 'played to death' on the jive scene. There are also scores of similar good tracks out there that don't get a run out, why not I don't know but I suspect in part because the 'token' track is a safe bet for a genre that may be alien or obscure to your non music geek.

Also, lots of people drip about 'the music' at events, but don't come up with any alternatives or suggestions: they just winge. So, while I was listening to 'In the Mood' AGAIN over the weekend, I thought: "there's so much big band stuff out there, what about something else"?

So here I am, with the following idea. Why don't people put the name of a track they don't want or are bored of on the SJF, but with a suggestion of what to replace it with. The rules are brief and:
1) Name of song and artist you're having issues with.
2) Name of alternate song of same genre and same artist you'd like to hear
3) (Optional) Name of alternate song of same genre and different artist

This way we may get new 'token' tracks! Very Happy Assuming any DJs out there are up for giving them a try!!! Shocked

Last edited by Jiveonaut on Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jiveonaut
Forum legend

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My idea: I'll go first!

1) I'm bored of Glenn Miller's 'In the Mood'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR3K5uB-wMA

2) How about Glenn Miller's 'Little Brown Jug' instead?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzMHMWjVZc0
DJ Andy
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting post Jiveonaut.

I sympathize, but you're obviously attending the wrong freestyles!
I hardly ever play Santa Maria by Gotan Project, and I honestly can't remember the last time I played Glenn Miller's In THe Mood!

Anyway, how about String Of Pearls instead? Smile
DJ Bry
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Andy there!

GM I keep for Ballroom Evenings.

Santa Maria GP, getting like Shakies Green Door. request nights only!
Andy McGregor
Forum legend

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ Bry wrote:
I agree with Andy there!

OOH!!! Green Door. Not played it for ages, probably a couple of years - is it too soon?
DJ Bry
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy McGregor wrote:
DJ Bry wrote:
I agree with Andy there!

OOH!!! Green Door. Not played it for ages, probably a couple of years - is it too soon?

You can play it anytime Andy, just say it was a request, even if your own.
Welshy
Regular

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't play Barbra Streisand play...anything else!!! No really, anything but that! Laughing
Steve
Forum legend

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ's? Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em Smile.

Trouble is, it take no effort whatsoever for DJ's to play those songs, they are well known, very safe and easily available. Whereas finding alternatives might actually require the tiniest of effort from the lazy sods. Apparently to much effort in a lot of cases.
steve white

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must agree with Steve on this one, it`s like they all have the same I-Tunes playlist, their even spoon fed by SJ himself & Dizzybee on this very forum with new tracks Rolling Eyes
I also believe that relying on requests to fill a nights musical entertainment
is a cop out
Southern Jiver
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve white wrote:
Must agree with Steve on this one, it`s like they all have the same I-Tunes playlist, their even spoon fed by SJ himself & Dizzybee on this very forum with new tracks Rolling Eyes
It's true I do post new music that grabs my fancy but I am always on the lookout for new tracks that I like to dance to. If you look at the last selection, you may see two or three older ones but most of them you have probably not heard much. Of course, the charts are available for everyone and that's where a lot of Jive music seems to come from.
Southern Jiver
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been mulling this question over for a while, Jiveonaut and firstly, have you ever Jived to "Little Brown Jug"? It's pretty uptempo. What I deduce is that people like dancing to tracks that they know....they can plant the breaks and pauses and maybe even sing along to them. So, the DJs are going to play the tracks that people want to hear. I agree there are lots of other tracks that could be played (see this thread) but sometimes the "old favourites" are the best. I was trying to come up with tracks that I have issues with to suggest some alternatives but mostly the tracks I get sick of are pop/techno ones which have a pretty fleeting playlife anyway. The Tango tracks that I tend to hear are usually a signal for me to get a coffee and biscuit Smile so I don't take much notice of them. However, I would love to hear more tracks played from the aforementioned thread.
Dizzybee
Forum legend

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
their even spoon fed by SJ himself & Dizzybee on this very forum with new tracks Rolling Eyes

'Spoon Fed'.. Loving that one... I like a variety of music & if its a chart hit then heyho, but even chart hits can be mundane.. I've just looked back on my playlists from January and there have been at least 20 tracks a month for the whole year, yet not one track repeated.. so the tracks are out there. Do I expect these tracks to be played?.. No I Don't!! and the unknown ones aren't.. do I moan?.. No.. The playlists are DB's Favs' and for all to have a listen..

I asked this question a little while back.. 'Are dancers happier with dancing to music they know or will they dance out the box to a good danceable beat'?.. For me, if it beats then I jump.. Razz

Calling ALL DJ's.. Play what you know to be the crowd catcher and if your hall is full and dancers come back then your doing it right, you'll always hear about the bum track, but very rarely will you hear about the good tracks you play.. funny that. Rolling Eyes

Requests/ DJ cop out.. UHhhhhh.. Where did that come from.. thats what DJ's do.. play to their listeners/dancers. Confused

www.dizzybee.ewebsite.com
---------------------------------------------------------------
Dance With Your Heart & Your Heart Will Follow.DB Wink
Jiveonaut
Forum legend

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy and DJ Bry. Thanks. I reckon I'm attending the right freestyles, but maybe am lucking out with musical variety..... Confused

Welshy: never a truer word was typed!!!!!!!!!!!

SJ: re your second post, how the world has changed, as you're stating that Lil Brown jug is uptempo, with a hint of a suggestion this is a bad thing!!!!! Wonders never cease.... It does depend a bit on which version you listen too, and as mentioned by Andy 'String of Pearls' is another good one, and is a bit slower. As is 'Gal in Kalamazoo'. 'American Patrol', on the other hand, is also another uptempo one. And these are just Glenn Miller numbers: if you're in the mood (ba boom...) for a quickie Shocked 'Jumpin at the Woodside' by Benny Goodman OR Count Basie is smokin....

I think your deduction is right though, and part of the point of my first point is to try and increase the 'tracks people know' so that there is more than one token track for 'spoon fed' DJs to choose from!!!
Jiveonaut
Forum legend

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, to have another go....

I'm bored of la Galleguitarra by Alex Fox, not because its a bad song but because the footstamping it generates does my swede in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTCtAYAZ4YU&feature=fvwrel

So, how about C'est la Vie by Alex Fox instead?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa6BRGCvkMY
Southern Jiver
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jiveonaut wrote:
I'm bored of la Galleguitarra by Alex Fox, not because its a bad song but because the footstamping it generates does my swede in.
I couldn't agree more. That footstamping boils my turnip too. Twisted Evil Don't people realise how naff it is? However, that's the subject of a whole other thread. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Southern UK Jive Forum Index -> Jive Music All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: