Southern  UK Jive Forum Index Southern UK Jive
Share Jive Experiences and Opinions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Go to the Southern UK Jive Calendar
Rap sections in jive tracks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy T-R
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Rap sections in jive tracks Reply with quote

Is it just me or do these sections put other jivers off?
There I am happily getting 'into' a particular track and then it gets completely spoiled by being broken into by a rap-burglar stealing my rythm away from me.
On The Floor by J-Lo is a classic example - a fantastic jive track (imho) but ruined by Pitbull's whittering.
If any DJ wants a rap-free edit of this track just contact me andy@borntojive.co.uk and I will whizz it to you - it comes out 3.34 secs and plays like a proper uninterupted jive track!
AdrianB

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Andy but I thought I must be the only one who didn't like it. Like you I think that the rap bits often break up the rhythm completely. Each to his own I guess.
Steve
Forum legend

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a reason rap rhymes with crap. (IMO of course :0)
DJ Andy
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that rap sections in tracks can be totally superfluous to the enjoyment of the track.
The problem is that even though some radio stations play rapless versions of a tune, it's not always possible to legally download them.
(Yes, a Pitbull free version of 'On The Floor' eventually became available, but I searched in vain for the rap free version of Plan B's 'She Said' that I heard on the radio)

I will always favour a rapless over the with-rap version, but when dancers are requesting a current chart tune that features rap, sometimes the pros outweigh the cons.

A current example is Lloyd's 'Dedication To My Ex': a great track marred by a rap halfway through.
If a version sans rap becomes available though, I'll be downloading it ASAP!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Southern UK Jive Forum Index -> Jive Music All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: