Southern  UK Jive Forum Index Southern UK Jive
Share Jive Experiences and Opinions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Go to the Southern UK Jive Calendar
Power is nothing without control

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jiveonaut
Forum legend

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Power is nothing without control Reply with quote

"Power is nothing without control" Discuss.
Southern Jiver
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Power, being in broad terms defined as energy, cannot be applied in any real constructive form unless it is in some way harnessed. This is also the well known slogan of Pirelli Tyre Company, and is featured in numerous television and print advertisements. In their case, they are referring to the power of an engine being controlled through the rubber on the wheels and its contact with the road. Of course, this can also be applied to other definitions of power, such as political power for example, and used in this context, the premise is defeated because, of course, some politicians have used power without any control and while it has proved effective in the short-term, it usually has led to a negative conclusion. To bring this discussion into context, a dancer who has a lot of power, needs to control that power quite severely if applying it to techniques such as dips, drops and aerials otherwise there is a great risk of causing damage to their partner. So, in summary, while it can be seen that power can exist without control, in general terms it is much more advisable that this power be controlled to provide positive results.
Jiveonaut
Forum legend

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leads should control their power: if nothing else they're (usually) physically stronger than their follows and can hurt them by literally overpowering them. Conversely, with a high degree of control a leader of little power can lead extremely well by exercising that control. How best therefore to find and strike that balance?

But the thought that really sparked my brain into asking this question to myself last night: can followers exercise physical power and control? I have some thoughts, but before I share, does anyone (particularly followers) else have any?
TeeDee
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Southern Jiver wrote:
...a dancer who has a lot of power, needs to control that power quite severely if applying it to techniques such as dips, drops and aerials otherwise there is a great risk of causing damage to their partner...

Not just with Dips, Drops, etc, but also the basics.

I remember a big, strong chap who was so determined to make the ladies follow his direction that he tended to over pull, causing a number of shoulder injuries.
Moo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always thought that the minimum amount of power or energy whilst still having control the better. So pretty much most would consider me a light lead.

I do try and balance this with the follower though, within reason. If they are too heavy armed, I will relax and just do simple moves and move on. If they have any other resemblence of tension I will adapt and try to form a decent connection.

The reason I try and match the follower and leave it light, is so that the follower can 'feed back' anything. I think some leads/followers think jive is a simple 'here's a move, do the move, next move', which makes me snooze a bit. Whereas I prefer a 'here's a suggestion, where is your connection, oh this is happening, lets both go here'. The idea also being there is enough space for a follower to either totally hijack, or just suggest/move things in a certain direction.

New to these forums, so apologies if the odd old thread pops up!
Southern Jiver
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Forum, Moo. It's good that some old topics do pop back up (although this is a recent one).

I agree with what you said and since I have become hooked on Blues dancing (or Indigo or whatever - that's another thread), I have endeavoured to encourage my followers in just the same way. There's no reason why Modern Jive should be just Move/Move all the time as, usually considerable opportunities can be found to express musicality in much of the music played for MJ. Similar to Blues, it should be taught as a conversation between dancers rather than a hard lead taking control all the time..in my opinion anyway. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Southern UK Jive Forum Index -> Jive Q & A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: