Southern  UK Jive Forum Index Southern UK Jive
Share Jive Experiences and Opinions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Go to the Southern UK Jive Calendar
Dangerous dangerous idiots

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Southern UK Jive Forum Index -> Jiver Soapbox
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jiveonaut
Forum legend

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Dangerous dangerous idiots Reply with quote

I'm not very well, bored, and been reduced to thinking about dance.

I went to Camber a couple of weeks ago. It was great. I had a fun time and loads of fab dances. England won the rugby, against Italy (though you could see the seeds of the Welsh victory the following week there), I drank home made gin and had chocolate cake for breakfast. I was living the dream.

Which could have become a nightmare if I hadn't seen the heels of the lady in a black and red dress, who had been lifted by a bloke in a red shirt, coming DOWN at my partner and I when we were on the small floor in the main room, I think it was on either the Sat night after the cabaret or on the Sunday (as I say, gin + time has dulled the memory). These two fools were in the middle of the floor when they did the lift, I didn't see how it started but to get up to altitude the lady was swept out and up, before coming down to wind up on his shoulder, horizontally, like a bazooka, with her feet at head height and her arms outstretched. It was the sort of lift a Strictly pro would do in a showdance. Her feet, and the pointy red heels attached to them, missed my head, and more importantly my partner's head, who couldn't see them to avoid them, by inches. Neither of these two pillocks had any awareness for other dancers, they just saw a bit of space and did it. The lifter obviously had NO regard for other dancers in doing (poorly, there was wobbling) this lift, and the lifted had no regard for other dancers by allowing herself to be lifted. They are both fools. Unfortunately they vanished after the song, or I'd have had a word. If they'd hit us, I'd have had several.

Now I know Ceroc venues ban lifts, except at the Champs, so they weren't allowed to do it. Even so they did, on a busy, confined floor. No rules it seems can prevent such awesome stupidity. It was very dangerous, the closest I've ever been to a serious head injury (on the dance floor...), and certainly one of the very few times I've had a sense of humour failure on the floor. It was only by luck and my pulling in my partner to me that a serious incident was avoided. So people, please, I know it sounds obvious, but don't do lifts on public dance floors. Ever. Full stop.
Southern Jiver
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd think it would be common sense wouldn't you, Jiveonaut. However, I have confronted leaders who committed what I considered dangerous lifts in crowded situations in the past. Generally the reaction has been one of outraged indignation that I would have the audacity to suggest that a dancer of his undoubted olympic expertise and many tens of years of dancing experience shouldn't do whatever he wanted in the venue. There have been protests of "I've always done it", "It's part of my regular dancing routine" and "the organisers don't mind" among others. After one particular near miss to my partner at one venue, the leader said that he had been dancing for 15 years and knew what he was doing. My reply was that if he had been dancing that long, he should know better. I'm not trying to be the Jive police or a busybody but if dancers' safety is in question then I believe that it's everyone's responsibility to take a stand.
Andy McGregor
Forum legend

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Southern Jiver wrote:
You'd think it would be common sense wouldn't you, Jiveonaut. However, I have confronted leaders who committed what I considered dangerous lifts in crowded situations in the past. Generally the reaction has been one of outraged indignation that I would have the audacity to suggest that a dancer of his undoubted olympic expertise and many tens of years of dancing experience shouldn't do whatever he wanted in the venue. There have been protests of "I've always done it", "It's part of my regular dancing routine" and "the organisers don't mind" among others. After one particular near miss to my partner at one venue, the leader said that he had been dancing for 15 years and knew what he was doing. My reply was that if he had been dancing that long, he should know better. I'm not trying to be the Jive police or a busybody but if dancers' safety is in question then I believe that it's everyone's responsibility to take a stand.
I am afraid you are wasting your breath talking to the dancers. If they thought they were likely to cause injury they'd not be doing the moves.

You REALLY do need to speak with the organiser. The organiser is the one who will have a claim made against them in the event that someone sustains a serious loss. Hopefully the organiser has the right insurance. They could lose their house or other assets if they are not insured.
Elliott
Casual Poster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two nutters last night doing endless extravagant lifts. There may have been another agenda going on... she wasn't wearing knickers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Southern UK Jive Forum Index -> Jiver Soapbox All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: