Southern  UK Jive Forum Index Southern UK Jive
Share Jive Experiences and Opinions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Go to the Southern UK Jive Calendar
Ten tracks to make your night!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DJ Andy
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Ten tracks to make your night! Reply with quote

After reading a lot of posts on the Freestyle review section where people have described the music at particular venues variously as 'good', 'boring', 'uninspiring', 'great', etc, it's obvious that everyone has different ideas about what good music is - it's so subjective. Confused

What we need is for forumites to be more specific about the music they like, so that we can get a more accurate picture from their review.

Then when Poster X says the music at Venue A was great, we'll know from his/her choice here what they mean by that and we can all form a meaningful opinion.

SO: use this thread to post ten tracks that make your night at the moment, OR are representative of the sort of mix you prefer, OR if you were given a 40 minute DJ slot you would play.

Feel free to add comments about, or qualify any of your choices (e.g "I know it's overplayed, but I love it!", or "This tune or any others like it would do", or "I don't care if it clears the floor...it's MY favourite!" Twisted Evil

Let's find out EXACTLY what people want to dance to! Cool
Southern Jiver
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent thread, DJ Andy. and not an opportunity I will pass up! Smile

However, can we open the scope up a little bit as I would be particularly interested in 10 selections from other DJs not just dancers (including you, DJ Andy) as to what they believe are 10 good floor fillers. I would like to hear especially from Danny from Dance Yourself Dizzy, Dave from Ceroc Newbury, Kelly from Jive Riot, Amanda from Jiveolution, Dave Newth from Jive Mad, Richard O and Richard P from Ceroc Fever, Paul from Jive 'n' Kicking and Paul from "The Thing". If Kev Hanbury and Russell Payne and any other DJs are prepared to list a top ten that would be even better.

Anyway, I'll kick off with mine :

1. Lemar - The Way Love Goes - My current favourite but very new
2. Donald Fagen - Walk Between The Raindrops - Classic, timeless
3. Aurora - The Day It Rained Forever - I never get tired of this
4. Matt Bianco - La Luna - Love this
5. Sue Boggus - Eat At Joe's - Slightly slower but a great track to Jive to
6. Joe Cang - Make Love - Excellent, not often played
7. No Angels - Still In Love With You - Dreamy...love it.
8. Pixie Lott - Mama Do - A bit overplayed but still makes my top ten
9. September - Cry For You - as above.
10.Seal - My Vision - A great classic. I love it when people play this.

Cheers, SJ

Nice one DJ Andy. Very Happy
DJ Andy
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for getting the ball rolling SJ. Very Happy

I am keen for DJs to post their favourite tracks to dance to but I wanted this thread to be one where people expressed their musical preferences selfishly - i.e what they themselves would enjoy dancing to - not necessarily what they know would fill their local dancefloor.(the former and the latter lists might be very different! Shocked )

Similarly I didn't want to get into the 'top ten best tunes ever ever' territory - more 'here's the sort of stuff I'd appreciate at the moment'.
A snapshot of your current musical/dance tastes, if you like. Smile
Southern Jiver
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ Andy wrote:
I am keen for DJs to post their favourite tracks to dance to but I wanted this thread to be one where people expressed their musical preferences selfishly - i.e what they themselves would enjoy dancing to - not necessarily what they know would fill their local dancefloor.(the former and the latter lists might be very different!
Fair enough..maybe we can start a separate thread for DJs then.

Note : New thread for DJ choices here - SJ

DJ Andy wrote:
Similarly I didn't want to get into the 'top ten best tunes ever ever' territory - more 'here's the sort of stuff I'd appreciate at the moment'.A snapshot of your current musical/dance tastes, if you like. Smile

OK. My list stands on that basis. SJ

Last edited by Southern Jiver on Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:15 am; edited 2 times in total
lilblue
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh, who could resist!

Love (in no particular order):

1 Shake It - Metro Station
2 Sex on Fire - Kings of Leon
3 Bust Ya Windows - Jasmine Sullivan
4 I Miss You - Blink 182
5 Low - Flo Rida
6 Starstruck - Katy Perry and 303
7 Cuckoo - Rebecka... (I've been told her surname a squillion times but can't remember it!)
8 I Gotta Feeling - Black Eyed Peas (Also love Pump It)
9 Ten Out of Ten - Paolo Nutini
10 Release Me - Agnes

I could go on, and on, and on.

Really like a bit of variety but not much of the 80s type stuff, which, to me, all blends into one another.

Very Happy
Nicky
Forum legend

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such a difficult choice DJ Andy.....I have tried to chose ones that could be played at any normal MJ night. However, I think a few that wouldn't be too popular at a lot of venues may have just sneaked in there Embarassed ....Well you did mention the word selfish! Very Happy

Beautiful Liar by Beyonce and Shakira (Freemasons remix)...Quite an oldie now, but its one that I have to dance to!

James Dean by Daniel Beddingfield...This one is a real Golden Oldie but just great!

You Got It by Lucas Grabeel...One that I don't think would be popular with most, but I love dancing to it with the right partner!

Club Thing by Yoav...Another very selfish choice as I don't think it would be to most peoples taste!

Pump It by Black Eyed Peas!...Never tire of this track!

Bad Boys by Alexandra Burke...Whats not to like? Easy to dance to!

Down by Jay Sean ft Lil Wayne...Always leap up for this track!

Beat Again by JLS...Still haven't tired of dancing to this one!

Release Me by Agnes...Probably overplayed but great!

Play That Funky Music by Wild Cherry...Yes, I know, complete indulgence on my part!!!

Remember, these are simply tracks that I personally love to dance to. I realise that to play such a set wouldn't go down too well Very Happy Believe it or not I did change a fair few as I thought they would be definate floor-clearers Wink
Nicky
Forum legend

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah, lilblue you must have submitted yours whilst I was still writing mine... Two of the ones that I almost included but changed as I guessed that others might, are on your list!!! Great minds Very Happy
Olly
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great thread idea DJ Andy Cool . I agree that this thread should be for dancers to give their current top 10, as it will help DJs with what is currently in vogue in the area. A seperate thread for DJ choices would be a better option I think.

Olly, New thread for DJ choices here - SJ

Perhaps contributors could also include the venues where they predominantly dance and to give an indication if their favourites are inspired by their local DJs or if they have heard the music from another source - particularly for the more obscure or rarely heard tracks. Idea

Would it be possible to update this thread on a monthly basis? Idea So we can have a contiual resource of current local favourites, this would certainly provide DJs with an additional resource with solving the 'DJ dilemma.'

Nicky said
Quote:
Two of the ones that I almost included but changed as I guessed that others might

Quote:
Believe it or not I did change a fair few as I thought they would be definate floor-clearers

As DJ Andy said in his opening post, this is about your choices and you should not worry about what others might include or what others think. If everyone posts their current self indulgent favourites, then if these appear on other peoples choices then DJs can have a much clearer idea of what is really popular. Even if the selections are risky, if more than 1 person includes it, then DJs can be more confident to give them an airing without so much fear of the possible reaction Smile

Lilblue said
Quote:
Cuckoo - Rebecka... (I've been told her surname a squillion times but can't remember it!)

How many times have Mops and I told you Laughing Exclamation Ok, for the hopefully final time, it is Cuckoo by Rebecka Törnqvist. I imagine Mops is rolling her eyes again Smile
DJ Andy
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating reading so far!

SJ...I pretty much like all your choices...
It's interesting to see that you've picked three (that's three!) slowish tunes! Surprised (when we all thought you only liked up-tempo stuff)
But I'm guessing you wouldn't want 30% of an evening's tunes at that speed, eh SJ?

lilblue - I confess your choices would have me taking a very extended break from the dancefloor (but I have two of your faves on my DJ playlist Smile ) ... thanks for sharing.

Nicky...personally I can't stand 'Pump It', but I like 'You Got it' by Lucas Grabeel, which I've never heard before...so thank you.

Let's have some more please! Very Happy
DJ Andy
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay...here are ten from me.

1. Turn Me On - Dirty Old Ann - (the Freemasons by another name!)
2. Rise Up (Praise Cats Mix) - Chance & Sunkids - Great uplifting tune
3. The Catwalk - The Frank Popp Ensemble - could have been one of several 'big beat' type tunes
4. Shake It - Latin Soul Syndicate - or similar like 'La Luna' by Matt Bianco!
5. Matchbox - Jonny Lang - love R'n'B (that's the proper stuff mind Wink )
6. Baby Workout - Jackie Wilson - such energy and a fantastic vocal!
7. I Need You Now (Cahill Radio Edit) - Agnes - or any similar track, e.g Cry For You by September
8. Start It Up - Robben Ford & The Blue Line - slower bluesy tune with 'can't miss 'em' breaks
9. Viene Mi Gente - Chica - some more latino
10. Come Back (Light Therapy) - Josh Rouse - just love this tune!

Cheers Cool
Southern Jiver
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ Andy wrote:
SJ...I pretty much like all your choices...
It's interesting to see that you've picked three (that's three!) slowish tunes! Surprised (when we all thought you only liked up-tempo stuff)
But I'm guessing you wouldn't want 30% of an evening's tunes at that speed, eh SJ?
I'm getting on a bit now, DJ Andy, Confused but you are right, I do prefer the uptempo stuff it's just that I love those three tracks so they are in my Top Ten. Maybe 15% slower ones during a night would suit me ok.
Nicky
Forum legend

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olly wrote:
Quote:
As DJ Andy said in his opening post, this is about your choices and you should not worry about what others might include or what others think. If everyone posts their current self indulgent favourites, then if these appear on other peoples choices then DJs can have a much clearer idea of what is really popular. Even if the selections are risky, if more than 1 person includes it, then DJs can be more confident to give them an airing without so much fear of the possible reaction

....... Well in that case Very Happy ........

Baby Get Down by Tomi....Fantastic funky track!

Love Stoned by Justin Timberlake......In fact, just about anything by JT!

Say It Right or Promiscuous by Nelly Furtado....Plenty going on!

Now I have to decide which ones these will replace......Thats a tough one! Shocked
Andy McGregor
Forum legend

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ Andy wrote:
I wanted this thread to be one where people expressed their musical preferences selfishly - i.e what they themselves would enjoy dancing to - not necessarily what they know would fill their local dancefloor.(the former and the latter lists might be very different! Shocked )
Good thread. I'm sure you enjoy the assistant DJ who comes up to the decks and says "this will get them all up". Sometimes, just sometimes, my objective isn't to "get them all up". Sometimes I'm playing a track for the minority vote. I know some people passionately love a track which leaves others cold. I play that track and don't expect it to fill the floor - but I follow it with a floor-filler.

I ask people to request what they like, not what they think other people will like.

If I was making one request at the moment it would be "Band of Gold (Almighty Radio Edit) by Kimberley Locke" which was requested by one of the members of this forum at the Brighton Ball, Thank you!
DJ Andy
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicky wrote:

Baby Get Down by Tomi....Fantastic funky track!

Love Stoned by Justin Timberlake......In fact, just about anything by JT!

Say It Right or Promiscuous by Nelly Furtado....Plenty going on!

Now I have to decide which ones these will replace......Thats a tough one! Shocked

Don't decide!...just put them in a different ten!
After all, there's no reason why your favourites shouldn't be different next month, next week, or even tomorrow! Smile
Kit
Casual Poster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Top 10 Reply with quote

Hello all

Here's my Top Ten:

1. Lemar - That's Just The Way Love Goes - I absolutely love this song!
2. Melanie Fiona - Give It To Me Right - Ditto
3. Rebekah ? - Cuckoo
4. Agnes - Release Me - I still love this one
5. Gaelle - Give It Back
6. Jay Sean - Down
7. Leon Jackson - Creative
8. Kardinal Official - Dangerous
And have to agree with Nicky...
9. Justin Timberlake - Lovestoned
10. Nelly Furtado - Say It Right

Plus, just thought I'd add one I have absolutely had enough of - The Killers, Human. I'm sorry, I loved this one to start with, but in my opinion, it's had it's time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Southern UK Jive Forum Index -> Jive Music All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: