Southern  UK Jive Forum Index Southern UK Jive
Share Jive Experiences and Opinions
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Go to the Southern UK Jive Calendar
Ten tracks to make your night!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Southern UK Jive Forum Index -> Jive Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Nicky
Forum legend


Joined: 22 Feb 2009
Posts: 401

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, no offence taken..... Musical preferences are purely subjective! Very Happy I would however, like to remind you of the objective of this thread....

DJ Andy wrote:
Quote:
I am keen for DJs to post their favourite tracks to dance to but I wanted this thread to be one where people expressed their musical preferences selfishly - i.e what they themselves would enjoy dancing to - not necessarily what they know would fill their local dancefloor.(the former and the latter lists might be very different! )


..... 'Selfishly' being the operative word here! Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Southern Jiver
Site Admin


Joined: 16 Dec 2008
Posts: 1656
Location: New Forest

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I could just throw in my 2 bob's worth here..Andy, Nicky is a lovely Jiver and an even more lovely "Blues" dancer. That is to say, she prefers the sort of music that gets played in the "Blues Room" at Camber for instance. So, it is music that Nicky prefers to dance to (rather than Jive to) and although I doubt that DJ Andy would play many of those particular tracks on a Friday Fever at Portsmouth, for example, they may well fit in with the Utopia Twisted "Jive" events that are presented at Newbury. I see no reason why this thread should limit people's choices to the 120 - 130bpm mark even though that seems to be roughly the sort of speed that Jivers prefer, myself included.
_________________
"We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance."
~Japanese Proverb
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Nicky
Forum legend


Joined: 22 Feb 2009
Posts: 401

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awww, thank you SJ; you say the nicest things! Embarassed

Andy, I do appreciate that most of the tracks that I may choose to dance to myself, probably wouldn't go down too well with most MJ dancers. I could happily choose heaps of faster, well recognised, 'bang bang' floor fillers, but my understanding was that this thread was all about being self indulgent. That said, I did try to include a few faster tracks that others may prefer to dance to.....

Andy McGregor wrote:
Quote:
I'm a Buble fan myself. And this is a great song. But not really one that will make it into my MJ top 10 because it has a very long introduction and a very slow beat, probably less than 100bpm - why not Haven't Met You Yet? A fabulous song and a much more jiveable speed.


Andy, I wanted to choose tracks that haven't been played to death and don't seem to get played anywhere ..... Much as I have my old favourites, I enjoy the challenge of dancing to tracks that are different to the same old, same old stuff.

To be honest, there are 3 tracks that, ideally I would've replaced with other tracks, but as they were discoveries that were 'given' to me by DJ's, I didn't think it would be appropriate to put them on here Smile

I love the enthusiasm and passion that discussions about musical preferences stir up ...... I'm so pleased to see that Shakiras great list has rekindled everyones interest in this fab thread ...... More of the same please! Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DJ Andy
Frequent Poster


Joined: 03 Jan 2009
Posts: 198
Location: Portsmouth

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TeeDee wrote:

Gramophonedzie - Why Don't You


Really!! Shocked Rolling Eyes Mad

That track would have me leaving the building, never mind the room!

Oh well...chacun a son gout!
_________________
DJ - ModernJivePortsmouth
www.ModernJivePortsmouth.co.uk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Andy McGregor
Forum legend


Joined: 07 Oct 2009
Posts: 393
Location: Brighton/Shoreham by Sea

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ Andy wrote:
TeeDee wrote:

Gramophonedzie - Why Don't You


Really!! Shocked Rolling Eyes Mad

That track would have me leaving the building, never mind the room!

Oh well...chacun a son gout!
I like this track because it's got a swingy vibe going on. And I played it at our nights when it first started getting played on the radio. It didn't seem to be particularly well liked. Not disliked enough to cause anybody to leave the room. However, it's not made it on to any of my recent playlists.

Gramophonedzie has a similar vibe to Miss Kiss Kiss Bang. This seems more popular and gets people on the floor. This still gets a regular airing at our nights.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FAuk8qGImA
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Andy McGregor
Forum legend


Joined: 07 Oct 2009
Posts: 393
Location: Brighton/Shoreham by Sea

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Southern Jiver wrote:
I see no reason why this thread should limit people's choices to the 120 - 130bpm mark even though that seems to be roughly the sort of speed that Jivers prefer, myself included.
However, there comes a point where tracks are no longer suitable for MJ because they are too slow or too fast. I am happy to step outside the above mentioned sweet spot and will, from time to time, play very slow or very fast tracks at an MJ night. But the slowest is probably 105bpm and the fastest is probaby 180bpm - I usually make sure the defibrilator is fully charged to re-start hearts at the end of the fast tracks!

IMHO if you're dancing to music outside these speeds you should be doing a different dance, not MJ. Nothing wrong with different dances. Any dance is good, especially with the right partner Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nicky
Forum legend


Joined: 22 Feb 2009
Posts: 401

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy McGregor wrote:
Quote:
IMHO if you're dancing to music outside these speeds you should be doing a different dance, not MJ. Nothing wrong with different dances. Any dance is good, especially with the right partner


..... If I wanted only to dance to very slow tracks, I would find a Blues venue to dance at..... If I felt like doing nothing but Salsa, I would go to one of the many Salsa freestyles..... If WCS was the order of the day, i'd look for somewhere to go.... If I fancied a night of just Tango, i'd trot off to a milonga.....

I am a jiver who happens to enjoy a little variation during an evening of dancing, and there is an increasing number of like minded people around. The fact that most venues now play a whole range of music, including Latin, Tango and WCS, proves that most organisers are now recognising that if they don't cater for peoples changing tastes, they risk losing their customers to venues who do!

Andy, your customers may be content to listen to track after track with the same beat, and thats great. I guess i'm just not as easily pleased as some..... Call me an awkward customer! Shocked

Luckily for me, there are many organisers who offer me exactly what i'm looking for.... A little bit of everything Very Happy That is the main reason why I am happy to travel such long distances for a freestyle, and do so many weekenders Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Andy McGregor
Forum legend


Joined: 07 Oct 2009
Posts: 393
Location: Brighton/Shoreham by Sea

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicky wrote:
Andy, your customers may be content to listen to track after track with the same beat, and thats great. I guess i'm just not as easily pleased as some..... Call me an awkward customer! Shocked
You are not an awkward customer at all. I think that most customers want variation in the music played during the evening. That's why I wrote
Andy wrote:
I am happy to step outside the above mentioned sweet spot and will, from time to time, play very slow or very fast tracks at an MJ night. But the slowest is probably 105bpm and the fastest is probaby 180bpm
Speaking personally, almost all of my favourite tracks are faster or slower than the 120-130bpm that most people play. A couple of my absolute top tracks are All That Jazz which is fast and the 7 min version of Havana which is slower. However, I strive to give the customers what they want rather than what I want and rarely play either track.

Having said that I like to give the customer what they want, if I put on Te Amo by Rhianna I'd expect to see more than half the room attempting to MJ at 190bpm as the drum goes at that speed. The other half would probably be glaring at me Embarassed
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nicky
Forum legend


Joined: 22 Feb 2009
Posts: 401

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy McGregor wrote:
Quote:
Having said that I like to give the customer what they want, if I put on Te Amo by Rhianna I'd expect to see more than half the room attempting to MJ at 190bpm as the drum goes at that speed. The other half would probably be glaring at me


Heheheh..... I would never expect tracks like Te Amo and Glory Box to be played at most venues on a normal freestyle night; of course they would clear the floor. In an ideal world, I would love to hear them played during a slower Blues type set at the end of an evening Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TeeDee
Frequent Poster


Joined: 11 Mar 2009
Posts: 273
Location: Cornwall

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy McGregor wrote:
DJ Andy wrote:
TeeDee wrote:

Gramophonedzie - Why Don't You


Really!! Shocked Rolling Eyes Mad

That track would have me leaving the building, never mind the room!

Oh well...chacun a son gout!
I like this track because it's got a swingy vibe going on. And I played it at our nights when it first started getting played on the radio. It didn't seem to be particularly well liked. Not disliked enough to cause anybody to leave the room. However, it's not made it on to any of my recent playlists.

Gramophonedzie has a similar vibe to Miss Kiss Kiss Bang. This seems more popular and gets people on the floor. This still gets a regular airing at our nights.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FAuk8qGImA


Like Nicky pointed out - this is what I personally like, not necesarrily think will fill a floor. So, yes, DJ Andy, I doooo Like this track!!!

For the record (excuse pun), I have played it a couple of times without any complaints, emptying of floor effects or people leaving the building..!!! Laughing

Andy M - Reminds me of the 1st time I played Jace Everets "Bad Things" (Fab track BTW). People were very uncertain and looked around with a sort of Question expression. Now it's been play a few times and it fills the floor..!!!
_________________
http://www.le-jive.co.uk/
http://www.facebook.com/cerocconexion
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Andy McGregor
Forum legend


Joined: 07 Oct 2009
Posts: 393
Location: Brighton/Shoreham by Sea

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TeeDee wrote:
Andy M - Reminds me of the 1st time I played Jace Everets "Bad Things" (Fab track BTW). People were very uncertain and looked around with a sort of Question expression. Now it's been play a few times and it fills the floor..!!!
I found this too. I played "Bad Things" some time ago and it caused some confusion. I had it requested about a month ago by a guy who'd "discovered" the track and it filled the floor!

I think that sometimes you can play a track ahead of its time. I've particularly noticed this with chart tracks. Play them when they've only just been released and get a limp reaction. Play them when they've been on the radio for a while and they fill the floor.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Southern UK Jive Forum Index -> Jive Music All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group