Southern  UK Jive Forum Index Southern UK Jive
Share Jive Experiences and Opinions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Go to the Southern UK Jive Calendar
Ten Tracks that DJs use as floor-fillers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Southern Jiver
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Ten Tracks that DJs use as floor-fillers Reply with quote

This is a thread for DJs to list their Top Ten floor-fillers that they like to play on a Jive Freestyle night. It's an offshoot from DJ Andy's thread here.

I would like to hear especially from Danny from Dance Yourself Dizzy, Dave from Ceroc Newbury, Kelly from Jive Riot, Amanda from Jiveolution, Dave Newth from Jive Mad, Richard O and Richard P from Ceroc Fever, Paul from Jive 'n' Kicking and Paul from "The Thing". If Kev Hanbury, Kevin Bennett and Russell Payne and any other DJs are prepared to list a top ten that would be even better. Thanks....SJ

Last edited by Southern Jiver on Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Andy McGregor
Forum legend

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Ten Tracks that DJs use as floor-fillers Reply with quote

Southern Jiver wrote:
any other DJs are prepared to list a top ten that would be even better. Thanks....SJ
I think of myself as a teacher. However, I probably DJ more than most MJ DJs as I choose the music for most of our nights - usually 4 times a week.
Floor fillers on a particular night depend on the audience and you get a feel for what gets them on the floor during the first hour of a dance. Most songs that consistently fill the floor are those classics that I feel are overplayed. But who can argue with a floor full of happy dancers? There's a whole load of new(er) tracks that fill the floor, but we don't know if they're going to be consistent floor fillers until they've left the charts and radio playlists. I think that a song needs to have stood the test of time and filled the floors for reasons other than being "new" to become a true "floor-filler". Here's some consistent floor fillers that spring to mind;

Dance The Night Away - The Mavericks
Now I Can Dance - Tina Arena
Hero (Metro Mix) - Enrique
Amazing - George Michael
Have You Met Miss Jones - Robbie Williams
Save the Last Dance For Me - Michael Buble
Billie Jean - Michael Jackson (and almost any other Jackson track)
Played-A-Live (The Bongo Song) - Safri Duo
Filthy/Gorgeous - Scissor Sisters
Sweet Home Chicago - The Blues Brothers
DJ Andy
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging by the ten that Andy McGregor has posted, this thread is going to turn into '10 tunes that are played to death'! Wink
Oh well, here are mine:

Love Is In The Air (Milk & Sugar Remix) - John Paul Young
You're Sixteen - Blue Bombay
Always Have, Always Will - Ace Of Base
Last Night - Chris Anderson feat. DJ Robbie
Lola's Theme - Shapeshifters
Sexbomb - Tom Jones & Mousse T.
Staring Down The Bird - Dr Robert
Shaggin' The Night Away - Chairman Of The Board
Do You Love Me - The Contours
Precious Time - Van Morrison
Andy McGregor
Forum legend

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ Andy wrote:
Judging by the ten that Andy McGregor has posted, this thread is going to turn into '10 tunes that are played to death'! Wink
Andy McGregor wrote:
Most songs that consistently fill the floor are those classics that I feel are overplayed. But who can argue with a floor full of happy dancers?
Only 6 of DJ Andy's list make it onto my playlists on a regular basis. And I've never played the Blue Bombay song at all! I'm not sure I've ever heard it!!!
DJ Andy
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy McGregor wrote:
Only 6 of DJ Andy's list make it onto my playlists on a regular basis. And I've never played the Blue Bombay song at all! I'm not sure I've ever heard it!!!

It's a bit of a 'Marmite' track! Wink

I should say that my list is just a random selection of 'floorfillers', some of which are 'last resort' tracks to play when it's late/quiet/I'm desperate. (!)
I don't necessarily play them all regularly.
Nicky
Forum legend

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm, are we allowed to comment on this link? Confused

Of course you can, Nicky. The more feedback the better - SJ

....Actually, going to anyway....I'm sure SJ can delete it if needs be Very Happy

DJ Andy wrote:
Quote:
I don't necessarily play them all regularly.

Thats a huge relief! Very Happy

I have to say, there are maybe 3 tracks in total from these lists that would persuade me to get up on the dancefloor. The rest may indeed have stood the test of time, but i'm afraid that, for me they just seem somewhat battered and worn......Sorry, just not for me Confused
Andy McGregor
Forum legend

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicky wrote:
I have to say, there are maybe 3 tracks in total from these lists that would persuade me to get up on the dancefloor. The rest may indeed have stood the test of time, but i'm afraid that, for me they just seem somewhat battered and worn......Sorry, just not for me Confused
I'm not claiming to be proud of my list. However, they are tracks that fill the floor - and that fits the brief for this thread.
Nicky
Forum legend

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy McGregor wrote:
Quote:
I'm not claiming to be proud of my list. However, they are tracks that fill the floor - and that fits the brief for this thread.

Andy, I wasn't trying to cast any aspersions on your choice of tracks....I fully appreciate that any DJ worth his salt must play to please the punters. However, I would point out that the 'brief' was "to list their Top Ten floor-fillers that they like to play"! Smile

SJ wrote:
Quote:
This is a thread for DJs to list their Top Ten floor-fillers that they like to play on a Jive Freestyle night.
DJ Andy
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicky wrote:
However, I would point out that the 'brief' was "to list their Top Ten floor-fillers that they like to play"! Smile

SJ wrote:
Quote:
This is a thread for DJs to list their Top Ten floor-fillers that they like to play on a Jive Freestyle night.

I only noticed the discrepancy between the thread title and the explanation in the first post after I posted my choice.
My list mainly fits the title, but not the brief.

So which would you prefer SJ? Tunes which DJ's play (sometimes) as floor fillers, or tunes DJ's actually like to play as floor fillers? Smile

How about either...? - Sorry for not being clearer on the thread.
Maybe you could give 2 top tens, the ones that fill the floor whatever and the ones that you prefer to play. - SJ

Fruitbat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sex on fire

Uprising

Mondo Bongo

Tainted Love

Sentimental

give me the night ( House version )

The spirit of Ray

Broken Heels

Cat People (putting out fire)

What kind of fool

Now i havn't put the artists for ANY of them, as i shall leave it up to you to figure that part pout for yourselves.. good luck

Fruitbat
Andy McGregor
Forum legend

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicky wrote:
However, I would point out that the 'brief' was "to list their Top Ten floor-fillers that they like to play"! Smile
And I like to play floor-fillers that fill the floor. I try to give the customers what they want - often that is not to my personal taste but the cutomer is always right. I always try to remember that taste is a personal thing and also that a track doesn't stop being great because it's been overplayed - it's been overplayed precisely for that reason.

Floor-fillers I play that I also like as music for my own personal dancing would need a lot more thought - I'm not sure I could think of 10 of my personal favourites that would fill the floor. There are very few pop tracks I really love for dancing Modern Jive and most floor-fillers come from the pop world - because floor-fillers are popular with the masses who fill floors and pop is short for popular.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Southern UK Jive Forum Index -> Jive Music All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: