Southern  UK Jive Forum Index Southern UK Jive
Share Jive Experiences and Opinions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Go to the Southern UK Jive Calendar
Good Tracks to Jive to (the DJ's Dilemma)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Southern Jiver
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Good Tracks to Jive to (the DJ's Dilemma) Reply with quote

I am resuming the thread here that was started in the Jive Plusbox by qdos, TeeDee and The G-Man and also including another thread by Olly and DJ Andy among others :

Talking about good tracks to Jive to: I would be happy to accept a challenge to put together 50 tracks that could be almost guarranteed to have most people dancing all night without moaning. Most DJs have thousands of tracks in their boxes but, as I've said before, it's not what they have, it's what they decide to play on the night that determines if people go away saying it's a great night or not. I'm not so sure that Olly's point about people's moods is necessarily that valid as I have been to places in a so-so mood where the great music has picked me up. Likewise, I have been in a great mood and been to places where the music has brought me down. I do think it is important that the DJ is interactive with their dancers and tries to gauge the mood of the people they are playing music for. It seems to me to be especially important that the DJ doesn't just play tracks that they particularly like, but should try to play tracks that they know that the dancers enjoy dancing to. I am a firm believer that it is important to get the "mix" right on the night and it will vary from night to night. Now, all the DJs here will say "but you have never been a DJ" and it's true, I am only putting across my point of view as a dancer who has attended a great many different flavours of Jive freestyles.
qdos
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with you there SJ re Olly's comment on moods. I go out to enjoy myself. If I'm not in the mood to dance then I simply wouldn't go. I can see Olly's point if they have to go being staff though.

50 tracks is quite a challenge but I think I've probably got near to that in my play list. I'll have a look through it sometime, though I've already mentioned a fair few tracks elsewhere on the forum and there's quite a few suggestions from several people. As you know though I like the upbeat fast moving stuff and Rock orientated generally too. Not keen on Latin which is why I don't go to Salsa
Sugarfoot
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having DJ d across the UK for MJ as well as other forms of social dance, I can say that MJ is the toughest challenge. Especially if you walking into an unfamilier venue. I think this is because of the wide genre to cater for. It helps if you are a regular DJ and get to know the dancers tastes over a period of time. I have also found that if music is used in classes it becomes more expecpted at freestyles. The local scene seems to prefer familiar tracks that have been embedded over time. Other venues have not had a good night unless the DJ has introduced plenty of new gems to inspire them.

To help local DJs:
What % of new untried music do dancers on here feel is expectable?
What is the best way to let DJs/organisers know when a track is not liked?
Southern Jiver
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good questions, sugarfoot. I would have thought that a DJ would know if a track is not going down too well if the floor clears. Smile Likewise, I would expect a DJ to notice if the dancers on the floor are having problems dancing to the selection. As for the %..I would think that is pretty subjective but for me personally, as long as a good number of "known" tracks are played, I am always open to a small % of new ones as long as I can dance to them.
drunkenjiver
Regular

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sugarfoot makes a good point about including new tracks into class routines,if people like the tracks they will often ask you the name of the track or the artist,this is an indication the track would be playable in the freestyle section,also i find the 15 to 20 minutes before the class starts is a good time to preview tracks to see how much interest those tracks might generate,I spend many hours at home researching music to find those little gems that no other venue is playing.
qdos
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woooh I just hit the 50 mark!!! that's over 3 hours music to dance to.

OK I've been adding songs to an online playlist I had made up a while back just so that I could tag a song every now and then to note as a tune I might like to dance to. Some are just for a bit of a laugh (I'm not a DJ and I'm not a professional dancer, in fact I don't think I'm very good at it but hey I like to try)

So here it is 50 tracks to dance to No particular order
http://www.last.fm/user/qdos/library/playlists/1xko1_mojive

Unfortunately not all the tracks are full length but the majority of them are. Perhaps others might like to make a list at Last FM and share them too?

By the way not many folk trying the One Track Challenge lately. Go on give it a go but it's just one track and you can't change your mind and add a different one later Wink
http://southernjive.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=144
TeeDee
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link to your 50 track QDOS - hate to be the one to mention this; you've listed the Eurythmics "Let's Go!" twice... Er, so you've not quite made the fifty after all..!!! Very Happy
qdos
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doh! I thought it took care of that , but I see one's remastered hence why it allowed the 'same' song twice. Oh well I've made it up to 50 again now Popped in a latin style one Just to prove I like them too, the ones with some get up and go that is. Actually I love that one, #50 if you're wondering
DJ Andy
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SJ mentioned on another thread that Alesha Dixon's 'The Boy Does Nothing' is too fast for modern jive.

I have to agree. (I dance Lindy Hop to it if it gets played!)
And when it first came out, I refused to play it cos I thought it was too fast, but when a lot of people requested it ("oh go on....everyone wants it played!") I relented and the dancefloor was filled with people struggling to dance to it, BUT at the same time having a great time because it's a fantastic, fun tune.
So sometimes it doesn't matter what your own opinion is (if I'd had my way, The Bongo Song would NEVER have got a play!) you have to bow to the will of the majority and go with it.
Southern Jiver
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair point, Andy. While on the subject of the DJ's Dilemma, I found it interesting that a particular track (fairly obscure) that I got played at 2 venues got the dancefloor leaping while when I got it played at another venue, it cleared the floor. Go figure.
DJ Andy
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Southern Jiver wrote:
Fair point, Andy. While on the subject of the DJ's Dilemma, I found it interesting that a particular track (fairly obscure) that I got played at 2 venues got the dancefloor leaping while when I got it played at another venue, it cleared the floor. Go figure.

Different venues have different clienteles, liking different ranges of music, and thank goodness for that I say....vive la difference!
Southern Jiver
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I appreciate that and am glad that it's the case but it certainly doesn't make your job any easier. Crying or Very sad At one stage I thought it would be fun to be a DJ but now I know a bit more about it I'm not so sure. maybe I could give it a go once my knees, hips or back has given out and I'm unable to strut my stuff any more. Confused How does it go ? :
You can satisfy some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time but you can't satisfy all of the people all of the time.
Olly
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You can satisfy some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time but you can't satisfy all of the people all of the time.

Absolutely right SJ - A perfect quote to describle the 'DJ dilemma.' I suppose the trick is to try and satisfy most of the people all of the time, which is really as much as we can hope to achieve. If I go to a venue and the floor is pretty full throughout the night, then the DJ has succeeded in cracking the dilemma in my view, irrespective of my personal taste.
qdos
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed Olly. We're fortunate round the middle of the South Coast here there's quite a few venues on pretty much every night of the week and we can try them out. What's great about this forum is that we can all exchange opinions and suggest various venues to one another. I've found some cracking places thanks to the folk here all chatting about them.

TeeDee seems to be a bit out on a limb but he's introduced more choice to Cornwall so now I know there's somewhere else other than India Queens to try out next time I'm down there Smile Nothing wrong with Indian Queens I hasten to add.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Southern UK Jive Forum Index -> Jive Music All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: